Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TwinkletOes26 Posts: 182, Reputation: 2
    -

Jun 15, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Is it a sin
    Is masturbation a sin? My mom found out I have a vibrator and gave me a speech about it being a sin. Ive read the story in the bible abut the guy God killed for spilling his seed but all I got from that was he got killed because he disobeyed God and him spilling his seed was pretty much saying f u God. I mean if God didn't want us to do it why didn't he make our bodies where we could only get pleasure from another human and not from ourselves

What do you guys think?

Oh yeah I'm single and unmarried and I get the urge just like everyone else but I'm trying to wait until I'm in a committed relationship(guys call me a prude lol)
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 15, 2008, 10:22 PM
    I think that you should never "Kiss and tell". Even if there is no one else involved. I think that your private actions should stay private, period. Biblically, you cannot take the word of today's bible as the word of God. The Bible has been written so many times and embellished each time by a church for political reasons. In fact Mary Magdaline was first portrayed as a prostitute in 800bc by Pope Gregory. There is an order of sisters who research every know edition of the Bible and monitor the changes that were made. Once in history the Catholic church needed to increase the birth rate of its followers in order to have enough soldiers to fight the Protestants and Muslims. Also for added revenue.

No it's not a sin. Tell no one of anything sexual except you doctor. Keep people from going through your personal items.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 16, 2008, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinkletOes26
    ....I mean if God didnt want us to do it why didnt he make our bodies where we could only get pleasure from another human and not from ourselves. What do you guys think?
    Dear TwinkletOes26

Well, yes, uuuuhhhh, when you take the Bible literally...

It all comes down to : is the Bible really Gods own instruction to humanity, or is it a collection of well intended books that - taken together - guide people through life ?

Your question could be answered better on another board , as for instance "other religion".
    Here on the Christianity board I assume your only guide is the Bible and lot's of belief...

:rolleyes:
    KalFour Posts: 332, Reputation: 46

Jun 16, 2008, 06:26 AM
    From what I've read, it is a sin to spill your seed. But as you're a woman you can't. :P
    In all honesty I haven't read enough to have a very valuable opinion.
    But Westnlas has a point. Although a lot of people might think it's overly convenient and inappropriate to pick which parts of the bible to take literally, it HAS been reinterpreted quite a number of times. And prior to that, it was only written by men. And prophets or not, they're perfectly capable of human error.
    So I guess it comes down to the overall message. What do you think is important? Do you feel that it's a sin?
    The main reason people might see masturbation as sinful is because it's giving into pleasure that was intended for a specific purpose. But... well, in my opinion, these people are taking it too far.

In my opinion, the only evils in the world are those that harm others. This one doesn't. Go nuts!

Kal
    westnlas Posts: 322, Reputation: 25

Jun 16, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Kalfour hit it right on the head!! If one doesn't harm anyone else, what sin could there be ? I know this can be carried over into other areas such as drug use, etc. However many of those actions do harm others even if not intended. Certainly masturbation is such a private thing that harms no one, except the feelings of your mother in this case. I think her beliefs are hers and she is entitled, we just don't happen to agree.
    -

Jun 16, 2008, 01:36 PM
    The thing is She's the one with a conviction about masturbation I don't see what the big deal is... but then again she is crazy(read y knife wieldin mama post) and a MAJOR prude (she thinks oral sex with her husband is bad)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 01:55 PM
    I grew up in an evangelical Christian home where masturbation and oral sex were considered sinful, but have disavowed myself of that notion, i.e. grown in grace. As long as those two practices don't harm you or anyone else and aren't done to excess (and that includes eating, drinking alcohol, jogging, talking on the phone, etc. -- where mental/physical harm to self or others can occur), there is no reason why they cannot be done. The OT (rules and regs) has been superceded by the NT (agape).
    Sonador101 Posts: 298, Reputation: 14

Jun 16, 2008, 02:00 PM
    I don't it's a sin. I mean doing it execivly is probably not agood idea. But I see no reason why it would be a sin. I suggest you do some reserch into it, read your bible tell me what you find.
    -

Jun 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Why is my mom surprised that her 26 yr old daughter has sexual urges I'm a human being am I not..?
    -

Jun 16, 2008, 05:15 PM
    No it's not a sin. Tell no one of anything sexual except you doctor. Keep people from going through your personal items.
    [/QUOTE]

I hid my vibrator in the bottom of my drawer but when I go out with friends I think her way of getting back at me for having fun is to rumage through my things. I inform her that she is being rude and she responds "its her house" she even opens my mail when I'm not there she's lucky I don't call the cops
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 05:18 PM
    she even opens my mail when im not there shes lucky i dont call the cops
    I may be wrong, but I think opening someone else's mail is actually a federal offense. My husband does not open mine, not I his.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 05:24 PM
    sounds like it is time for some grown adult women to move out??
    And/or put her own locks on her own bedroom door ( that I would also say she should be paying rent for) And I would get my mail at a mail box, one of those UPS stores or other mail box store.

With knowing I will go against some denomination teachings, it is not a sin unless it becomes an problem, addiction. We get that more here with men, esp where ti can lead to funtional problems latter. But to be honest at 26 I would be much more concerned about you if you did not.
    -

Jun 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    sounds like it is time for some grown adult women to move out??
    And/or put her own locks on her own bedroom door ( that I would also say she should be paying rent for) And I would get my mail at a mail box, one of those UPS stores or other mail box store.
    I would move(or pay rent) but I have no car ,live in the rural south with no access to public transportation, and since my mom won't let me drive her car without her in it I have to job hunt around my mamas schedule(so if she's "too angry with my stepdad" or "too tired from staying up untl 3 on the computer" she won't take me job hunting)

If I got a mail box the post office is 10 min away from my house(like I said we live in the country) and shed have to drive me to it (which would be whenever she "felt" like it). There is a lock on my door but SHE has all the room keys and refuses to relinquish any of them to me or my stepdad(shes VERY controlling).

All my friends live 2 or 3 hours away and they are trying to find jobs themselves and live with their parents as well(one of my friends has a 10 pm curfew and she's 24)
    But I'm putting my resume together for the online job fair in my state so wish me luck.

My mom has always been like this... do you know I didn't get my official drivers license until I was 18 because she wanted me to get driving lessons which is fine BUT she for 2 yrs would have me set up times to take the lessons then she would refuse to take me to them. All throughout my teen years when I would be in my room looking for my shoes and she would swear I was looking for something I had hidden(ie drugs condoms etc and no I didn't have any of these things) so she would always be in my room rumaging through my things looking for things that were not there. I once went to the movies with HER friend's daughters(only because her friend begged her to let me go out with her daughters to the movies) while I was gone she overturned my mattress looking for drugs because why else would I want to get out of the house. Not because I never got t go anywhere but I went to the movies because I was "looking fo drugs":rolleyes:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Sounds like time to move to even a women's shelter, since to be honest this is sounding more like a unhealthy control.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 07:02 PM
    I agree with FrChuck. Call a shelter hotline and get out of there. They'll send someone to pick you up.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Is masturbation a sin?
    Yes.

My mom found out i have a vibrator and gave me a speech about it being a sin. Ive read the story in the bible abut the guy God killed for spilling his seed but all i got from that was he got killed because he disobeyed God and him spilling his seed was pretty much saying f u God. I mean if God didn't want us to do it why didn't he make our bodies where we could only get pleasure from another human and not from ourselves

What do you guys think?
    The Bible says that the Church is the Pillar of Truth (1 Tim 3:15). Therefore as a Catholic, I rely on Church teaching on the matter of sin.

The Church teaches that any sexual behaviour outside of holy matrimony is a sin because it does not leave open the possibility of conceiving life. We believe that sexual activity is so important that it is set aside for only people who have sworn to be faithful to each other and to God.

oh yeah I'm single and unmarried and i get the urge just like everyone else but I'm trying to wait until I'm in a committed relationship(guys call me a prude lol)
    That is wonderful!

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 16, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    The Church teaches that any sexual behaviour outside of holy matrimony is a sin because it does not leave open the possibility of conceiving life.
    So post-menopausal women cannot have sex? Couples deemed infertile cannot have sex?
    -

Jun 17, 2008, 09:13 AM
    The Bible says that the Church is the Pillar of Truth (1 Tim 3:15). Therefore as a Catholic, I rely on Church teaching on the matter of sin.

The Church teaches that any sexual behaviour outside of holy matrimony is a sin because it does not leave open the possibility of conceiving life. We believe that sexual activity is so important that it is set aside for only people who have sworn to be faithful to each other and to God.
    but I'm not catholic I'm a methodist

my mom is southern baptist lol
    -

Jun 17, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    I agree with FrChuck. Call a shelter hotline and get out of there. They'll send someone to pick you up.
    I called all the shelters I found in my state (they were all in the city nearest to me that are 4 hours away) and they all said I lived too far away to come get me... all my friends are too afraid of my mama (crazy gets you a badd reputation) to even come near the yard (shes threaatened to shoot a couple of my friends) my boyfriend well ex now(my moms only allowing one date a week and 12 curfew rule got to be too much this is the millionth time that has happened) def isn't coming on my property :( .
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2008, 09:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    So post-menopausal women cannot have sex? Couples deemed infertile cannot have sex?
    If this was true, then Sarah would have never been permitted or ordained to bare Isaac..

So is sexual acts a sin? Not unless you are hurting someone directly in your actions. The word says that it is unclean to spill the seed... Yet it does not say repent... God tells us to wash... Whether the spill is on something, or on the person, the order of command is wash.

Perhaps a child's mind would understand this better..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search