Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spongey82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Problems with taxes withheld, but not paid!
    I have been working for a physician's office since August 2005. Since then, I have received a W-2 for each filing year since. However, this year I had a few problems and found out a few things. First, when I asked my employer for my w-2 in late January, I was told by him to "get a 1099 form and pay my own taxes!!" What? I am not an independent contractor and I know that my taxes were withheld and I now know that they were not paid. Every W-2 that I have ever gotten, I now feel is wrong. I contacted the IRS about whether any of this is my fault and they said that it wasn't. Further more, I never, ever, EVER received a check stub! When I ask about one I am told "we don't give those out in this office!" I have no idea what amount of taxes were withheld, but I know for a fact that they were not paid. I found a form for reporting tax fraud on the IRS website, but I am wondering if I should fill it out. [NOTE: My employer uses the office account as his own personal account, writing checks to anyone he feels. (How do I report this?) Sometimes I have to wait a few days--sometimes weeks--before I can even get my check from him!]

I'm sorry, I'm ranting, I know. But I really need to know how to handle this situation. Should I fill out the IRS form 3949 A or should I just let it go? Keep in mind, I do not have a record as to how much Federal and State taxes were withheld. If I could get the IRS to do an audit on the office, then that in itself would make me very, very happy!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 06:26 AM
    One thing you should definitely do is check the records at Social Security to verify that your employer has been contributing on your behalf.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 5, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Agreed. You need to get on top of this, even at the cost of your job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes withheld from our paychecks [ 2 Answers ]

What is the purpose of collecting taxes from our weekly paycheck?

Taxes withheld incorrectly from two states [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in Kansas in 2005. I moved to New jersey in 2006 Jan but my taxes continued to be withheld from Kansas for the first 6 months during 2006. My employer failed to update my address while generating the paystubs. Can I file for only New Jersey or do I need to file taxes for both states?

No taxes withheld from paycheck? [ 1 Answers ]

I just accepted a new position and was told for the first three months no taxes would be taken from my paycheck. 1. Why would a company choose to do this during the "trial period?" 2. I think I am supposed to put aside an amount (based on my tax bracket) that would normally be withheld because...

Taxes withheld on bonus [ 1 Answers ]

Hello sir or madam How do I calculate taxes withheld on 2598.00 My 401k deducted was 129.90 (and is 401k deducted on your bonus) My exemptions are 3 I AM IN NEW YORK Rgds

Question about taxes withheld [ 1 Answers ]

I claim 0, 0 and live in Kentucky. Can you please tell me the percentage of taxes taken out?

View more questions Search