Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmcclure Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2009, 10:39 PM
    Speech classes?
    If I am planning on becoming an RN through a four year university, do you think I will have to take a speech class?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:41 PM

... why would you need a speech class? Is there something wrong with your speech? Technically, a speech class isn't a required course... I believe for an RN, you do need to take a course on how to treat patients and their family members and how to perhaps speak around them, but unless you have some sort of a speech impediment, and even then, it's doubtful
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 10:42 PM

Public speaking?

Jul 8, 2009, 10:50 PM
    Sorry for not being completely clear, I did mean a public speaking class. My counselor at my high school is saying that it is important to take a speaking class because if I don't in high school they will make me in college. And I don't have a speech impediment.
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 10:52 PM

Ah, gotcha. No, as far as I know, they won't "make you" take a public speaking course in college... I have plenty of friends who are as quiet as a mouse... and they all graduated to be just fine. Some people are public speakers, some aren't. I'm sure you'll speak when it's necessary... no big deal.

Jul 8, 2009, 10:56 PM
    Alrighty. Thanks for answering my question!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcclure View Post
    Sorry for not being completely clear, I did mean a public speaking class. My counselor at my high school is saying that it is important to take a speaking class because if I don't in high school they will make me in college. And I don't have a speech impediment.
    Take it in high school and get it over with. Then everyone will be apprehensive. If you wait until college, your classmates will probably have done some public speaking at their church or h.s. or at a family function and will be fairly relaxed, while you will be a nervous wreck. The experience will come in handy later for other things, like giving a toast at a wedding or teaching a class.

Someone long ago told me to relax by imagining the audience sitting there in their underwear. Someone else told me that I, the speaker, am the expert, and everyone in the audience is sitting at the edge of his chair, eager to learn something from me. Also, pick out one or two persons in the audience toward the back and talk to them. Look right at them. The rest of the audience won't realize that's what you are doing and will think you are talking to each one of them.

You will usually be able to pick your subject or subtopic, so choose something fun and interesting. If you enjoy yourself, your audience will enjoy you too.

Jul 8, 2009, 11:16 PM
    When school starts again for me I will be in my Junior year. I am already taking "Speech I" the first semester and then "College Speech" the second semester. I really hate speaking in front of people, I'm not a shy person, I just get nervous. I was thinking that if I complete "Speech I" and I feel more comfortable speaking in front of people, then I wouldn't really have to take "College Speech".

Should I do that or do you think I should take both classes?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 11:18 PM
    When school starts again for me I will be in my Junior year. I am already taking "Speech I" the first semester and then "College Speech" the second semester. I really hate speaking infront of people, I'm not a shy person, I just get nervous. I was thinking that if I complete "Speech I" and I feel more comfortable speaking infront of people, then I wouldn't really have to take "College Speech".

Should I do that or do you think I should take both classes?
    Take both. You won't be sorry. In ten years you will smile about it.

Jul 8, 2009, 11:20 PM
    Ok, thanks for your help! :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 11:21 PM
    Ok, thanks for your help! :)
    Think of me when you're speaking. :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 11:26 PM

I suggest you take it, although it isn't really a "requirement"... college is the time when you take classes that may better you for the job market, and right now, it's not a bad idea.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 8, 2009, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny View Post
    I suggest you take it, although it isn't really a "requirement"...college is the time when you take classes that may better you for the job market, and right now, it's not a bad idea.
    I beat you to it, already told her that. Where you been, Tonto?
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2009, 11:30 PM

Sorry Lone Ranger!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DV classes [ 7 Answers ]

:mad: Last October I was taking in for a DV charge misdemeanor . I went to court and now I have to do the classes and a pay fine, I have no motivation to go to the classes because I don't think that they apply to me. What will happen if I decide not to go to class or meet with a po?

WAPO: Free speech ain't free speech [ 23 Answers ]

I was always under the impression that free speech was free speech, now we have things like "hate speech," "free speech zones," the UN's "you can't offend Islam speech," and as I gave an example of today - "politically correct speech." The Washington Post claims a distinction between Political...

What classes should I take ? [ 1 Answers ]

IF I want to do something in engineering what classes should I take in high school and what classes in University? Anyone knows? Thanks :)

What classes [ 3 Answers ]

School starts in 2 weeks and I was wondering what classes would be the best to have on my transcript for forensic science and such.

Classes [ 1 Answers ]

Would you please correct this if necessary One day, I had an idea that if I could convince the company to start a GED program at their facility, it would be conveyance for me. Therefore, when I got off from work, I wouldn’t have to drive some twenty-nine miles to school to take the GED classes...

View more questions Search