Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HouseIssue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2010, 05:11 AM
    I was a dumba$$, I put my (now ex)girlfriend on title... how to evict!
    House is in California.

I'm military, I PCS'd (moved) in March, to be nice and 'help her' as she was supposed to move out and we would rent out the house -- I paid Apr & May "rent" (mortgage). She then paid June and July, then used my account to pay in August. She then removed her account info and I have been paying since. I have my own household in Japan to pay for and can't afford to keep paying "HER RENT" to live in a house (for free) essentially.

She's on title (as we went 50% on the down payment) -- but mortgage is in my name. She has refused to answer emails.

Help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 9, 2010, 07:25 AM

Your only recourse here is to reach an agreement with her to sell the house. Otherwise you are stuck with the mortgage.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseIssue View Post
    can't afford to keep paying "HER RENT" to live in a house (for free) essentially.
    Hello House:

It's WORSE than you thought... You CAN'T evict her. She OWNS the place. You're STUCK. Ebains is right. You NEED to reach an agreement with her...

But, as long as she has NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by staying put and LETTING you pay the freight, she will... But, that really isn't so, is it?? She does have something at risk. Certainly, she has a credit rating that a foreclosure will smash.. Yes, it'll smash yours too, but it looks like it's headed that way anyway.. So, IF she values her credit rating, you might suggest to her, in a certified letter, that you're going to STOP paying, and she'll be sued for foreclosure, right along side you, even though she isn't on the mortgage. That is, UNLESS she comes to the negotiating table...

By taking that position, you've switched things around, as YOU now have NOTHING to lose (cause you're losing it anyway), and EVERYTHING to gain.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend won't leave, how do I evict? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been broken up with my girlfriend for 3 years and she will not leave. I have been very civil and when I push the issue she gets violent. I am a Federal employee and cannot go there, so I let it go until she calms down. She pays for nothing, does nothing to contribute. I have recently been...

I want to evict my girlfriend from my house, the police said I can't [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My brother in laws girlfriend is cheating on him has a boyfriend. He got into a fight w/her last week and the police were called. They told him I could not kick her out because she has a daughter that lives with them. Can he legally ask her to leave. She helps pay the bills, her name...

How to evict your girlfriend [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend of 5 yrs and I are in the process of breaking up. The house that we live in belongs to him. He has given me 5 days to move out. My question is, doesn't he have to give me 30 days, or is this 5 day limit legal? We live in the state of PA.

How to evict girlfriend. [ 1 Answers ]

My uncle wants to evict his girlfriend and I would like to know how he can do this. He lives in Florida in a mobile home and they have been together for less than a year I think. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you

View more questions Search