Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pritynpunk887 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:02 AM
    Put Down Deposit - Gave apt. to someone else!
    Myself and two roomates just found our dream apt in NYC. We met with the realtor who had me pay $50 for a credit check and had us pay the full deposit for the apt of $1,700. I asked her if there was ANY possible way we would not get this apartment because we wanted to make sure it was safe to end our search and she replaied with "No, this management company is great, and the apt. is yours"

We then keep trying to call the realter to see when we meet the management company to pay our first month's rent and sign the official lease. About three days go by and finally she tells us that another person offerec $1,800 a month so they gave the apt. to them instead.

Is this legal if we already had our deposit down?

:(
    We now have a few days to find a new place to live and still have to fight with them to get our deposit back.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 18, 2009, 08:08 AM

Did you get a receipt for the deposit? If so what did it say. Generally a deposit means that you have been accepted pending a credit check.

However, if they refuse to give you the apartment, then you would have to file suit. You might have a lawsuit against the realtor and landlord and you can sue for costs in finding a new place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Landloed has not provided a certificate of deposit for security deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have requested several times,verbally, a receipt for an escrow account for my 2100 dollar security deposit. The landlord has not complied and I feel he has spent the money. I called him on several occasions which finally he picked up the phone. I told him to figure on picking up the rent...

Should I or Should I not gave up my right to my child(my the DAD)! [ 5 Answers ]

OK I was with this girl and we were not togather for very long but we ended up have a child togather and she wants me to sing over my right to her! But my question is what is the point in doing this if she can still try to get child support from me anyway! I will been helping her out with the baby...

My father gave away my car! [ 6 Answers ]

in 1997, I bought a 1993 toyota celica in great condition from a dealer. I used the car during college, and then in 2001 I moved abroad to study for a year. The car remained in the large driveway of my parents' house. I moved back to my parents' house in New York for a year afterwards, and...

CA: Signed lease/gave deposit but owners made changes to apt. [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles and my boyfriend and I recently signed a lease and gave a security deposit for a one bedroom apartment. The apartment had recently been renovated, and when we originally went to look at it, the appliances were not installed yet (stove, fridge, washer/dryer). But we were told...

Gave security deposit.rented to someone else [ 2 Answers ]

I gave the landlord money for house... the day I was suppose to pick up keys he said he rented to someone else. Is this legal, isn't it a binding contract once money is exchanged? I have to be out by Friday no place to go with my 2 children 6y and 1 month old, what can I do?

View more questions Search