Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hoof501 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 04:54 PM
    CA: Signed lease/gave deposit but owners made changes to apt.
    I live in Los Angeles and my boyfriend and I recently signed a lease and gave a security deposit for a one bedroom apartment. The apartment had recently been renovated, and when we originally went to look at it, the appliances were not installed yet (stove, fridge, washer/dryer). But we were told that everything was ready to go, it just needed the appliances.

Four days before we were supposed to move in, we went back to the apartment to get the keys, and we found out that were more renovations being done. Basically, the owners had realized once they brought the appliances in, that there was not enough space in the utility room for the washer/dyer. Since the utility room backs up next to a large closet, they decided to knock down the back wall of the utility room and move it back to make more space. So now the utility room is big enough for all the appliances but the problem for us was that the large closet is *much* smaller than it used to be. It may not sound like a big issue, but this apartment has almost zero closet space, and this closet was supposed to be where we were going to store a bunch of film equipment. Now it was basically the size of a coat closet.

This was a dealbreaker for us, and so we told the broker that same day that we no longer wanted the apartment. She said she would re-rent it, but since we had already signed a lease and given a deposit, she said they would charge us (1) for any days past our move in date that they couldn't find a renter and (2) a fee for her broker's services.

I would understand getting charged if we had simply decided to break the lease for no reason, but since they actually changed the layout of the apartment after we signed the lease, can't we get out of being charged?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 1, 2007, 05:23 PM
    While this may be a dealbreaker for you the landlord may not see it that way. The question is whether a court would see it that way. I think it is iffy. I would consult with some local real estate attorneys who can gauge what a court would do. Because if you don't oay they will probably sue you and it will end in court. Another issue here will be proof. Do you have any measurements as to how much space was lost? Its possible they may lie about it.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Dec 1, 2007, 09:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    While this may be a dealbreaker for you the landlord may not see it that way. The question is whether a court would see it that way. I think it is iffy. I would consult with some local real estate attorneys who can gauge what a court would do. Because if you don't oay they will probably sue you and it will end in court. Another issue here will be proof. Do you have any measurements as to how much space was lost? Its possible they may lie about it.
    And the landlord can point out that they were fixing what seemed to be a major problem. If I read the OP correctly, they said that the unit would have a washer and dryer in it, or at least have enough space for one. If they did not actually provide that space, the tenant would be able to claim breach on that point.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2007, 07:40 AM
    Hello hoof:

I think you've got a 50/50 chance of prevailing in court. I'd move, (or not move in). Send the landlord a certified letter, return receipt requested. HAND deliver a copy too. Tell them that they breached the lease and as a result, you won't be moving in. Tell them that you expect your deposit and your first months rent to be repaid to you in 5 business days, and if it isn't, you'll commence a lawsuit.

Then see what happens.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2007, 08:48 AM
    For me, yes I believe this is grounds to break the lease, but if the landlord does not agree, you will end up in court. California is pretty good about being on the tenant side normally but you never know till you end up in court.

So your chance is, ifyou don't get the landlord to agree, is to break the lease, and you may end up owing them for the entire lease since you never know what the judge will say

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No signed lease,no deposit how I can evict her? [ 2 Answers ]

I rented a house in CA for 5K,month,one year written agreement.then I decided that I can allow to live in this house somebody to help me to pay the rent.at the same day this person came to the house,I discover that there is a lot of mold in the ...

Signed lease gave 1st last sec. Landlord sold home before I moved in. [ 6 Answers ]

I recently rented a home or so I thought. I signed a lease gave them 1st and last and security deposit, they cashed my check. 8 days before I am to move in they call and say they sold the home. I live in Florida. I don't know if this has anything to do with it but, I handled everything myself...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Are email commitments to lease binding if the lease has not been signed? [ 1 Answers ]

We have 2 emails from a rentor stating that they will take the property for the summer (like they have for the last 3 years) and that they are putting the lease and the check for the total rent amount in the mail. We then received an email saying they changed their minds. We never received the...

Gave security deposit.rented to someone else [ 2 Answers ]

I gave the landlord money for house... the day I was suppose to pick up keys he said he rented to someone else. Is this legal, isn't it a binding contract once money is exchanged? I have to be out by Friday no place to go with my 2 children 6y and 1 month old, what can I do?

View more questions Search