Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DenBast Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2012, 02:25 PM
    Garnishment for income tax
    My friend lives in Kentucky. A few years ago, he had to declare bankruptcy. When he found a new job, the State jumped on him to collect unpaid taxes. The amount garnished was such that he could not live on what was left.

He is again trying to find a job, but nobody wants to hire him because of the back taxes. What can he do to find a solution with the State? It seems to me that this is the only way he will ever be able to have a decent income and have enough money to live on. I have no idea of the amount he owes but it is significant ($6,000 +). Your help will be appreciated.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 14, 2012, 02:30 PM
    He needs to ask here himself so that he can answer questions, starting with what kind of bankruptcy he filed and who else he owed, such as the IRS. Or he should talk to the state, who may very likely be willing to work out a plan. They want him working of course.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ... questions, starting with what kind of bankruptcy he filed ...
    Why does it matter? Taxes are not dischargeable. The bankruptcy case is over, so the state is no longer stayed from collecting.

I guess it may help if you are thinking about suggesting that he file a new bankruptcy, possibly a Chapter 13, or re-open the old one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax garnishment [ 12 Answers ]

I have recently had a wage garnishment filed against me.When I file my taxes this year, will they be able to garnish my income taxes? I always heard the could only do it if you owe back child support or student loans...

Income tax garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancée has back child support ordered on him while he was incarserated and he owes ten thousand dollars and we have two children to take care of so I wanted to know how much of his income tax they can garnish or will they garnish it all?

Income tax garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have gotten a judgement againt proir tenant. This is my only rental and I am new to all this. But they owe me about 3,000 and I have never been able to collect. Is there a way that I can garnish their income tax refund?

Garnishment of income tax [ 3 Answers ]

Can a creditor garnish your income tax

Garnishment of income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I have debt I need to know if I have a great chance of getting my income tax taken? And also how whould you know if your income taxes is being taken?

View more questions Search