Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orbit9090 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Trane XL80 w\ heat pump system
    1990 Heater: Trane XL80 w\ original Trane A\C - heat pump
    1990 Thermostat: Trane Weathertron

Last year, problem began occurring whereby our heater will not lite unless we switch to 'emergency heat'.
    Then, the heater unit will ignite and the heat pump eventually shuts off, making our system operate like a traditional (expensive) heating system without any heat pump assistance.

The A\C unit works fine in the summer.

The heater and heat pump used to work together automatically, now they will only work manually.

What could have broken?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Nov 24, 2007, 04:02 PM
    What you describe is the way they are suppose to work, you cannot run the heat pump and the gas furnace at the same time, only the furnace fan should operate when the heat pump is working. When the heat pump can no longer keep up with the demand then the heat pump shuts down and the furnace takes over or when the out door thermostat makes this transicion. Good luck, Mike
    orbit9090 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2007, 05:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    When the heat pump can no longer keep up with the demand then the heat pump shuts down and the furnace takes over or when the out door thermostat makes this transicion. Good luck, Mike
    Shouldn't this process occur automatically?

We didn't used to wake up to a 60 degree house and have to manually switch to 'emergency heat'.

So, my question is, what's BROKE?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 06:08 PM
    Yes this should be automatic, you may have a bad outdoor thermostat.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2007, 06:21 PM
    I agree with acetc. The out door thermostat or sensor is what tells it to use gas furnace or heat pump. When you switch to emergency heat at the t-stat you bypass the outdoor stat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Musty smell from new trane ac/heat pump not constant [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We had a new trane 5 ton two compressor ac/heat pump installed last Sept. 26. About two weeks ago we noticed a really strong, musty smell coming from the vents. It was a hot day, over 90, and my husband had had the unit in the fan on all the time setting. The smell is only there when the...

Replaced Transformer on Trane heat pump still no power [ 5 Answers ]

Today I woke to no power to thermostst. Through this site I found out about the transformer. Check power to transformer good 120volts each wire. But no voltage out. Replaced transformer. Wired red to red and white to white incoming power. And blut to black blue and red to black red out coming....

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Trane Heat Pump tstat replacement with Honeywell prog - wiring question [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace my Trane Weathertron tstat with a Honeywell RTH7400 prog one. I have a Trane heat pump with aux heat. I've been poring over these thread piece-mealing some info the follow is the result. The old wiring scheme: X2 - black O - orange G - green Y - yellow T - tan/brown R -...

View more questions Search