Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandeepgautam Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2013, 03:58 PM
    J1 Visa tax return information details
    I visited US under J1 visa as a student Intern. Federal tax, State tax(Illinois), Medicare and social security taxes have been deducted. I am an Indian national. What are the guidelines I need to follow. Which forms I need to fill

I have check up onn the IRS website and here it says under form 1040EZ: Your filing status is single or married filing jointly. If you were a nonresident alien at any time in 2012, your filing status must be married filing jointly.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2013, 07:49 PM
    As a J-1 visa holder, you are EXEMPT from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes for the first two calendar years for you J-1 visa. On 1 January of the 3rd year, you become liable.

As for filing as a resident, that is allowed in some circumstances sometime after you have reached the 2nd year anniversary of your arrival, but different tax treaties have different variables.

So please tell us your HOME COUNTRY and EXACT date of arrival.

Mar 16, 2013, 09:00 PM
    I told earlier also. "I am an Indian". My arrival date is May 13, 2012 and Dep date is Aug 4,2012.

Mar 16, 2013, 09:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    As a J-1 visa holder, you are EXEMPT from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes for the first two calendar years for you J-1 visa. On 1 January of the 3rd year, you become liable.

As for filing as a resident, that is allowed in some circumstances sometime after you have reached the 2nd year anniversary of your arrival, but different tax treaties have different variables.

So please tell us your HOME COUNTRY and EXACT date of arrival.
    I told earlier also. "I am an Indian". My arrival date is May 13, 2012 and Dep date is Aug 4,2012.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2013, 04:06 AM
    You were exempt from FICA taxes, so go back to the employet and ask for a refund of those taxes.

If they refuse, get a refusal letter on company letterhead and submit Forms 843 and 8316 to request the refund direct from the IRS. Expect to wait at least six months for the refund.

For the annual income tax return, you should file Form 1040NR plus Form 8843, plus Form 2106 to claim daily living expenses if your income exceeded $10,000.

Mar 23, 2013, 03:04 AM
    You were exempt from FICA taxes, so go back to the employet and ask for a refund of those taxes.

If they refuse, get a refusal letter on company letterhead and submit Forms 843 and 8316 to request the refund direct from the IRS. Expect to wait at least six months for the refund.

For the annual income tax return, you should file Form 1040NR plus Form 8843, plus Form 2106 to claim daily living expenses if your income exceeded $10,000.
    Can you tell more about state tax. I just want to confirm the following: Will I get all the ferdal tax I paid as refund.
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 11:03 AM
    Yes, you should get all of the federal income tax back.

You need to identify the state.

Mar 23, 2013, 12:50 PM
    Yes, you should get all of the federal income tax back.

You need to identify the state.
    Illinois(I lived in Evanston)
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 01:02 PM
    You will probably get all of your state money back as well.

Mar 23, 2013, 01:11 PM
    You will probably get all of your state money back as well.
    Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2013, 01:13 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B1 visa in 2009 and L1 visa in 2010 - tax return and refund? [ 1 Answers ]

I came in US first time on B1 visa (duration 05/17/2009 to 08/08/2009) Now I am in US since 07/18/2010. Does it conclude that I am a resident alien for 2010 tax filing? I have spouse, and a kid (2 years) as dependent. What will be my tax return?

Obtain tax return information regarding depentants claimed. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, How would I go about obtaining information about how another person files their tax forms with regard to claiming dependents? I know that sounds vague, but it is relative to a divorce in 2004, and my belief that the ex wife has been claiming a son who does not meet the tests for...

L1 visa first tax return [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in USA on May 9 2008 on L1 visa along with my wife and daughter on L2. My wife has ssn but not for daughter . I want to file my first tax return here. I have my W-2. My Salary is paid here by my local office in USD. How can I file my return, what form, what deductions etc ?

Tax Details for Dependent Wife and Children (L1 visa) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to US. My Wife and children will join me in July 2008. I have few questions regarding the tax and expemption details. 1. What is the tax rate slab in Florida? 2. What will be Exemption for my wife and children(2)? 3. Is it necessary to have my wife and children's in US before...

More details about filing state tax return for NJ resident working in NY [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for the answer from Delite. However, I am a little confused. Should I have to pay both NJ and NY taxes? Confusius

View more questions Search