Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MrA2u1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jan 22, 2006, 04:07 PM
    Relocated before rest of family - Filing status?
    I relocated from Virginia to New York on January 1st 2005. I started a new job on January 2nd. My wife did not work in VA in 2005. Both my wife and I received 1 paycheck from our previous employer in January 2005 for work performed the last week of 2004. My family stayed in Virginia to sell our home. Our home was sold on June 28th and the family moved to NY that day. When filing for 2005, do I file VA as a non-resident and my wife as a part year resident? If so, I would assume I would file NY as a full year resident? Also, how do dividends get divided as to which state gets the income tax since the accounts are joint and we were in different states for 6 months.
    Thanks in advance
    Alan
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 04:45 PM
    MrA2u1:

Your state filing proposal (I file VA as a non-resident and my wife as a part year resident) makes sense, but it may require that you file separately on your federal return. I recommend you both file as part-year residents for both VA and NY. Since states tend to tax only for income earned within the state on such returns, it should not make too much difference in how much tax you would pay.

As for the dividends/interest, split them equally between the states.

If this seems a bit complicated, you should get professional tax help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing 1099Misc on OPT/F1 Status [ 8 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, I was given an 1099Misc form along with W2 from my employer. Around $9500 were reported on 1099Misc. In 2005, I was on F1/OPT status. I am filing single and a citizen of India. Do I have to file any forms other than 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ, 8843 and IL1040? Do I have to...

Filing status [ 3 Answers ]

I was on F1 till Aug 2005 and on OPT till Oct and on H1 from oct 2005 And I went to india from Dec 29th till JAn 22nd please consider the Following 1) I paid tuition for 2004($2000) and 2005($450) in FL 2) Social security and medicare taxes were with held from oct 2005 in IL 3) I was...

T?ax Filing status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to usa in Sep'2000 and was a student till Nov'2005 ( including OPT). I got my H1b in Nov 2005. I read pub 519 and according to substantial presence test, since I was on F1 status for most part of my 5 th year i.e 2005, I can file taxes as a student. Can some one please advice...

Filing status [ 1 Answers ]

It was a great help to have my other question answered. I do have another one, though. I was married to a US citizen in January of 2005. When filing my taxes for 2004, do I use my marital status for the year which I am filing (2004), or do I file as a married person? My wife has already filed her...

View more questions Search