Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lambers24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 12:33 PM
    I gave my security deposit but can't move in now, can I get it back?
    I ended up giving the owner of a town house a security deposit as it said was required in his ad, I gave it to him early as I was under the assumption, I was going to get my down deposit from my current landlord. Unfortunately because I did not give him 30 days notice he decided not to give me my money back (even though he told me he would), and that is why I put the money down on this new place, I was going to use my down deposit I got back for rent, but now can't, so I called the other guy I gave my security deposit to, to ask for it back as I would not be able to move in July 1st or if he could hold it till August as I would move in then and told me he could not give me back my deposit but wanted me to give him some of my belongings as collateral for a month I would even be in the house. So I was wondering if he would have to give me back my security deposit?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 01:14 PM

It all depends on how the contract is written.

But in general... the deposit is there to protect the landlord, not the tenant. He could hold you legally liable for the rent until he is able to find a new tenant by law under the terms of the lease.

Without actually seeing that contract he is probibly entitled to keep that money. You would in effect be breaking a lease by not coming up with the money after signing it and paying a deposit.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 1, 2010, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    It all depends on how the contract is written.
    I don't see that there was any contract, or lease.

Next time you give someone a deposit, write down the rules. What it's for, what are the conditions, etc. In other words: a written contract.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I don't see that there was any contract, or lease.

Next time you give someone a deposit, write down the rules. What it's for, what are the conditions, etc. In other words: a written contract.
    Good point... I assumed there was a contract. If there was none... he can kiss it goodbye. Its heresay at that point and nothing can be proven.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I gave buyer healthy pup, she returned I gave mony back minus deposit is this right [ 15 Answers ]

A buyer brought a health puppy from me, after only 24 hours she asked if she could return puppy as it was unwell, I agreed she could return puppy, buyer then asked for money back, I agreed but said the deposit is non refundable, as I provided her with a health pup, and when pup was returned the...

What happens after you move from renting and your security deposit was not given back [ 2 Answers ]

Is it true whether you break a lease or it ends you are supposed to be notified within 30 days after move out where your security deposit is?

Getting rent deposit and security back.did not move in [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a lease in May for a rental to commence in Sept. I gave owner a check for Sept. rent and a check for security. Signed lease, did not get copy back. Due to a sudden change in marital status, I was not able to move in, gave 3 weeks notice via e mail. Did not have owners address or...

Gave security deposit.rented to someone else [ 2 Answers ]

I gave the landlord money for house... the day I was suppose to pick up keys he said he rented to someone else. Is this legal, isn't it a binding contract once money is exchanged? I have to be out by Friday no place to go with my 2 children 6y and 1 month old, what can I do?

Security deposit- can't move in [ 2 Answers ]

We recently gave a security deposit for a house to rent. On the receipt it says security deposit for (address). That was on Jan 30. On February 6 we found out that we will not be able to move in and afford the rent payments. The house was not available to rent until February 16. We did not...

View more questions Search