Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bham4ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Alabama law on college support
    I am a farther that paid every penny of my child support and my "X" even took me back for more after my daughters 16th birthday. My daughter is 19 and in college.
    Now my "x" claims that she has paid 16,000 in college expenses and I am court ordered to pay half. I have never seen a bill, my daughter is on a full scholarship. Doesn't she have to show me the bills paid not just get a court to say she said she siad that is what she estimates she spent?
    And can they put me in jail if I don't pay it?
    What is the law on college support anyway? I wouldn't mind paying my share but I need proof.:confused:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2009, 04:39 PM

If this was written into your divorce settlement paperwork you need to go back and look at that to get an idea of just what you are required to pay. It is usually spelled out in great detail as to who pays for what, when.

If the exwife wants to force you to pay this college expense, she can take you back to Court but she will have to show documentation to the Judge for her claim. At that point if it was a scholarship she's not going to be able to have you pay "half of a scholarship" now is she?

You also need to see just when your child support legally ends per your original paperwork. If the time has come for it to end, see an attorney to get it totally stopped legally by the Judge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gadsden Business College in Alabama Transcript [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to get your transcript from Gadsden Business College in Anniston Alabama I believe this school has been closed. I know the branch I went to school is. The phone rings but no one ever answers. Thank you for any information.

Child support and college [ 4 Answers ]

I was hoping someone could help me. My husband as a son who lives with his mother. He starts college in the fall and will be dorming. Does my husband still need to pay child support to his mother since he technically is not living at home? I live in the state of NY and the divorce decree doesn't...

Child Support Law after 18 and in College [ 3 Answers ]

My divorce agreement stated that my ex husband would not have to pay child support after our son turned 18. He still had 6 months of high school ti complete, and is now in college. It is my understanding that California law has changed, and that the father is obligated to directly contribute to...

Pay support for son going to college [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 ,we live in ny but not together.I pay support for him. This fall 07 he is going to college do I have to pay support since he will not be living home with his mom. There was never an agreement for college and since he will not be living home do I still have to pay his mom support. I...

View more questions Search