Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amggnz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2007, 05:11 AM
    Gave security deposit.rented to someone else
    I gave the landlord money for house... the day I was suppose to pick up keys he said he rented to someone else. Is this legal, isn't it a binding contract once money is exchanged? I have to be out by Friday no place to go with my 2 children 6y and 1 month old, what can I do?
    Nnikkibruce Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2007, 06:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amggnz
    I gave the landlord money for house....the day I was suppose to pick up keys he said he rented to someone else. Is this legal, isnt it a binding contract once money is exchanged? I have to be out by friday no place to go with my 2 children 6y and 1 month old, what can I do?
    No, a binding contract is only when signed and then both parties are bond to that. However, if he did not give you your money back, then that is something different. I hope you didn't give him money with out a receipt or cancelled check. Because then there is no proof and a hard lesson. But you must have a signned contract to make binding.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2007, 06:24 AM
    What proof do you have that you paid him and what it was for? If you can prove that he accepted the money from you as deposit on the rental or purchase of the house, then that would be binding. The thing is you may not be able to get the house, but you should be able to recover the deposit and your costs in putting a roof over your head until you find another place.

For future reference, you should NEVER hand over money without something in writing detailing what the money was for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I have given the two months notice, before we moved in Apartment not cleaned and the Land Lord is aware, also the maintenance manager came in and saw it and signed a paper that nothing was cleaned . He told as that when we moved out we did not have to clean, he would have it cleaned on his...

Security Deposit! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi; I have a situation on where my previous landlord wants to keep my deposit. I lived in his property for 3 years. Never paid a late rent nor did any damages in his property. His house has 16 years and never had made any changes except for the counter in the kitchen. The shades (verticals) of...

Security deposit [ 1 Answers ]

I'm A Tenant A Will. The Day I Move Out, When Does The Landlord Have To Give Me My Secutirt Deposit Back. This Is In Massachusetts Help

Help my security deposit! [ 3 Answers ]

Moved out June 24 (pennsylvania). Move out date was June30 (was doing my landlord a favor so she can re-do bathroom.) Called her July 17 and she says she is not giving any of my security deposit ($1000) because the 60days prior to my moveout, the apt was "filthy" (I procrastinate...

View more questions Search