Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
    is to ensure that the proper level of maturity and civility are maintained on the House floor

Sure wish that happened here, fallorn hope
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 02:23 PM
    Yep, those darn Republicans sure are waging a war on women.

Laura Bush’s fight for women
    By Kathleen Parker, Published: June 19

By now, most sentient Americans have heard about the war on women. That is, the Republican war on women, which has been framed as a battle waged by stodgy, old white guys who want to deny women reproductive freedom.

One can debate the validity of these claims, but for now, let’s give equal time to the other war on women. This one is manned not by men but by a dwindling number of women whose understanding of equality is so narrowly defined that only a certain kind of woman can be recognized as having achieved anything of value.

Twenty-two such women recently wrote a letter to the Sewall-Belmont House and Museum, protesting an award to be given to former first lady Laura Bush. The Alice Award, which honors a woman who has helped other women, previously has gone to Hillary Clinton, Katie Couric, Nancy Pelosi and Olympia Snowe.

Leading the charge of “The 22,” as we shall call them, is Sonia Pressman Fuentes, co-founder of the National Organization for Women, who described her reaction upon reading that Bush was being honored as “a sudden onset of Alzheimer’s.”

Well, at least she didn’t say the vapors.

“I couldn’t believe my eyes,” she said. “It’s not partisan. I’m not complaining that she’s a Republican.” (Snowe, after all, is a Republican.) “I’m complaining that she’s never done anything for women to get this award.”
    Uh, what? I personally have touted the former first lady's work on behalf of women, especially those oppressed in Islamic countries.

I have some personal knowledge of Bush’s significant efforts through the years. Although most associate her with literacy programs, no small detail, she also has made important inroads in women’s health. I was among three journalists, including Greta Van Susteren and Robin Roberts, who traveled with the first lady through the Middle East in 2007 to launch a breast cancer research and treatment initiative in Saudi Arabia, Jordan and the United Arab Emirates.

We watched as Bush met with women who whispered their secrets to her, in some cases saying for the first time the words “breast cancer.” These were women who couldn’t get a mammogram without their husband’s permission. Even saying the word “breast” was verboten and cancer a disease of shame. Afflicted women often were abandoned by their husbands, and their daughters were so stigmatized that they were deemed unsuitable for marriage.

We also watched as Bush met with heads of state, charming kings, sheiks and princes and helping them see the importance of women’s equality through access to health. Until she ventured forth on their behalf, 80 percent of women with breast cancer in the Middle East died. Now that number is lower.

Doesn’t this qualify as helping women?
    Well? Doesn't it?

Bush has also been instrumental in helping women advance in Afghanistan through education and professional training programs she shepherds through the George W. Bush Institute. If that’s not enough, consider how, for the past several years, she has championed the plight of Burma’s Aung San Suu Kyi, who recently claimed the Nobel Peace Prize she won 21 years ago while under house arrest for her human rights activism...

These are the battles Laura Bush has chosen to fight, no less important than any other — and worthy of a Nobel of her own.
    Damn right she is worthy. Unlike the president who started this GOP "war on women" myth, Mrs. Bush deserves the recognition for her accomplishments, not her potential. I'd put her accomplishments on behalf of women everywhere up against the whole lot of today's feminists. The lives she has touched are a far more substantial work than protesting Romney dressed as a giant pack of contraceptives.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 03:41 PM
    Hello again, Steve:

I have only one thing to say... Transvaginal probes... Or, is that two things?

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

excon
    Trans Ex where do they go?
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    trans Ex where do they go?
    Hello clete:

The armpits..

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2012, 07:24 PM
    ?? Kinky
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:17 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

excon
    Been there, covered that and you still have no leg to stand on. No one is requiring transvaginal probes. Time to quit dodging, buddy, and address the left's war on women. What about this attack on Laura??
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    What about this attack on Laura???
    Hello again, Steve:

I don't know... When we attacked Sarah Palin, you said it was because she was a woman. That wasn't true. Now you put this attack on Laura Bush into the same camp as Republicans attacking woman's rights.

You were wrong then, and you're wrong now.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:33 AM
    Seems to me that if a women has the right to kill a baby ,and a man doesn't ,then it's an unequal rights situation.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Seems to me that if a women has the right to kill a baby ,and a man doesn't ,then it's an unequal rights situation.
    Hello tom:

Women are not men, and the laws are going to reflect that.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Seems to me since its in their bodies, it's their call, whether men like it or NOT!!
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Been there, covered that and you still have no leg to stand on. No one is requiring transvaginal probes. Time to quit dodging, buddy, and address the left's war on women. What about this attack on Laura???
    What about the rights attack on the present first lady?

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201201050006

http://crooksandliars.com/john-amato...ck-michele-oba

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201201040001

As for your claim about T-probes not being required...

http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/articl...inia-and-texas

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/02...und-bill-video

... its not from a lack of trying!!
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:04 AM
    Seriously, you mock us for relying on Fox when we don't then offer Media Matters as a source? Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

Here's where another part of your diversion to attacks on Michelle falls flat, most of the time they're just jokes. You have no sense of humor? And none of that explains or justifies attacking Laura Bush as having done NOTHING for women when she damn well has done more than most. I don't see that NOW lady in the Middle East talking to Muslim women about breast cancer or discussing the need to empower women with sheiks and princes, do you? Just curious, what is Michelle and Hillary doing in that regard?

As for your "it isn't for a lack of trying" thing, feel free to show me where any of these laws require a transvaginal probe. Been asking and waiting since the first thread on this and I'm still waiting.

Now back to my question, what about this attack on Laura Bush? Is it deserved or has she earned the right to be honored for her on behalf of women?
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:07 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

I don't know... When we attacked Sarah Palin, you said it was because she was a woman. That wasn't true
    No sir, I'm quite sure I said it was because she wasn't a liberal woman, and that's entirely true.

Now you put this attack on Laura Bush into the same camp as Republicans attacking woman's rights.
    Um, it was you who titled this "the war on women." If attacking a woman that has done as much as Bush has for women isn't a "war on women" then I don't know what is.

I was right then and I'm right now.
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 07:31 AM
    Funny how you only saw the one source and ignored the others. Multiple sources that say the same is a general consensus, even though you say your side is joking around, and my side is throwing rocks and being direspectful.

That pretty selective, and self serving. Why not just say its wrong to attack a first lady? On that we can agree.
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Funny how you only saw the one source and ignored the others. Multiple sources that say the same is a general consensus, even though you say your side is joking around, and my side is throwing rocks and being direspectful.

That pretty selective, and self serving. Why not just say its wrong to attack a first lady? On that we can agree.
    I know the difference between a joke and an attack and I never said Laura Bush should be immune to criticism, she's a public figure. When a public figure's public behavior contradicts their public message they should be held accountable, and that's what I'm doing to these nags attacking Laura Bush.

Bush's behavior has been exemplary, her work on behalf of women is unquestionable. You choose not to hold these hypocrites accountable with me that's your choice, but it speaks volumes.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

I think Laura Bush is great.. Am I going to blast everybody that doesn't agree with me?? No, of course not. I don't see YOU doing that.. To expect it of US, and not your own, is an indication that you drank the koolaid.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2012, 08:14 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

I think Laura Bush is great.. Am I going to blast everybody that doesn't agree with me??? No, of course not. I don't see YOU doing that.. To expect it of US, and not your own, is an indication that you drank the koolaid.

excon
    You have no idea how much stuff I let slide instead of trying to make an issue out of it, am I supposed to start a thread just to say this is a stupid attack? You made the charge of a GOP "war on women" and that's not who is waging a war on women. If you can't see the war on women waged by the left that is a clear indication you drank the koolaid.
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
    and that's not who is waging a war on women. If you can't see the war on women waged by the left that is a clear indication you drank the koolaid.
    Hello again, Steve:

Let me see. You think any RANDOM attack on a Republican woman constitutes a war on women, particularly REPUBLICAN women...

Then you compare that to a CONCERTED effort by a huge segment of society to pass LAWS that negatively effect women, and you think it's the same thing.

Man, you DID drink the koolaid.

excon
    Expert

Jun 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
    To be more specific, the right wing gop war is with everybody that's not in lock step with them/you.

That's why you only recognize when YOU are being attacked. So your attack on Laura Bush can be seen as a joke too, or opinion, take your pick. Now if you don't think the joke on Mrs Bush was funny, then you know how I feel about the JOKES on Mrs Obama.

Maybe you don't want to admit YOU are as sensitive as I am!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Obama's war on women [ 18 Answers ]

Why does Obama hate women? Add to that the fact that Obama doesn't care about real life issues women are facing such as gas and grocery prices instead of $9.00 contraceptives, and I'd say Obama is the one waging a war on women, not Republicans.

What personality traits do Black Women have vs. Asian, Iranian or White Women? [ 8 Answers ]

I would like to think of myself as a strong willed and independent African American woman, and have been recently dating a person who is from Iran. Now for the most part things are great but I have a feeling that he doesn't understand the personality traits of Black Women vs.the women he has dated...

World War two prisnor of war camps [ 4 Answers ]

There was movie I saw, back in like the early 70's. The story line was a prisnor of war camp along the German/Swiss border or German/Austrian border. The POW's build a glider and launch it from the ridge of the top floor roof, using a tub that is dropped from several stories to provided the...

Is the Iraq War just merely a political conflict or really a War? [ 10 Answers ]

The Iraq War has been awfully quiet these days. I read historical documentaries about other wars and, every time there's a war, It would cause much panic and it would all be on the news and everything. Officials would be all over the nation trying to find recruits and signs are up. But the Iraq...

View more questions Search