Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 4, 2007, 06:29 PM
    I know that some men may feel uncomfortable in this situation, my husband is one. However, I grew up believing that men are stronger than women. I know, I know, they all get the same training, but I guess it is just my belief that I would get a firmer massage from a man.

Although I am a woman, I would not have a problem seeing a woman therapist, it is just my stubborn beliefs that lead me to think a man would give a better massage.

Anyway, is he giving freebies to get the word-of-mouth out? I could sure use a massage!!

<-------the line forms here for the freebies. J/K
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 4, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    When you go to a massage therapist, there's nothing sexual going on. I have no problem seeing a licensed massage therapist, male or female.
    Boys that don't grow up don't ever mature into "real men". They hold on to irrational thinking and never face the question of why they are so insecure around other men.
    I am secure enough with my body, my masculinity, and my "status as a man" to not be worried about the massage therapist being male or female ... I'm more concerned about the quality of their work.
    Hooray! You should get an "A" in sociology class. Interestingly, when I was a little boy, I didn't like girls very much, it was when I grew up and matured that my fondness for the opposite sex blossomed. Nobody said that getting a massage was "sex" but you assert that since I prefer the touch of a female over a male I haven't matured into a real man? Odd conclusion.
    Budhabelly Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Jun 13, 2007, 10:46 PM
    Hi,
    I run a clinic that used to have a male therapist and he was very good. He had no issues getting patients, and once they knew what he was doing they loved it and word of mouth did the rest!
    A lot depends on how and where you set up your business. If its from home, some people will feel funny going there for a massage, especially females. If it is in a professional clinic, there will be no issues, as most people realise that its professional massage by a professioanl therapist.

It also depends on the type of massage. Relaxation: most people imagine a female therapist. So if your husband want lots of work it will have to be deeptissue or sports massage, and that will atract big/heavy men which means hard work for your husband.

On the topic of sex; being in the industry I have only heard of male clients looking for female therapist to get a "happy ending" at the end of their session. So as a male therapist I don't see any issues, except that some people will prefer to see a female instead of male therapist (mainly because they think that male therapist will be too rough).

I hope this helps, and best of Luck!
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jun 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
    I get a little frisky feeling when I'm being massaged so I'm not comfortable with a woman and I've never had one by a man. I just don't care to have a man touch me if I'm not or don't want to have sex with him. So... I don't care to get one by a strange man or woman. How sad for me.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Dec 2, 2007, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonjons1girl
    Hi my husband is a Massage Therapist, and we would like to know how many of you would go to a guy Massage Therapist comfortably? We are trying to start our own company and would like to know how the public feels about this and what they would do. Please answer for us.
    In my personal opinion, it is actually quite amazing to read comments from men who prefer female massage therapists working on them. I suppose when those men go to doctors they would prefer a female doctor because she could then give them the annual test for prostate instead of the male doctor. And how about physical therapists? Many of them are male assisting other males and they are placed in that direct role to help men as well as women in need. And how about the Male nurses who change and even bathe other males in the hospitals and other areas? To reject them simply because of their gender is cowardly and inappropriate.

Now, if a person (male or female) actually has first-hand experience that the person giving them a massage is doing so in an inappropriate manner, then they have cause to refuse the service. But for a male to refuse a male because they have some innate problem or are insecure about themselves warrants deeper self-examination of conscience. Why do you feel that way? And if as a male you prefer a female, what do you think (or hope) she will do to you that would be different from what the male therapist does? I would like to understand that. A professional service is just that, a service. That's all.

Also, a training instructor at a gym, for instance, would more than likely be male. They may need to touch you in order to teach you what you have gone there for (physical fitness training). They may "spot" you on the bench and be close to you. They may shower with you afterwards. The same will go for a martial arts instructor. I suppose you would prefer for a female to teach you these things? And then there is the military service where men bunk with other men, shower with them, dress with them, change in front of them, etc. It all boils down to insecurity in who you are. If one is totally secure in their orientation, believe me they would have no concerns about this whatsoever and thus would not make it so public and well-known. Be honest with yourself, what really bugs you deep down?
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Dec 2, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyGem
    In my personal opinion, it is actually quite amazing to read comments from men who prefer female massage therapists working on them. Be honest with yourself, what really bugs you deep down?
    And let's not forget the Chiropractors! These doctors are mostly male and also have to touch (extensively) other males in the course of their professional work. It would be ludicrous for a male to insist on seeing a female Chiropractor just because the one you would be seeing who would be helping you was male!
    medyer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 06:03 AM
    I'm female an would prefer a man giving a massage versus a woman . Not comfortable with another woman massaging me same for a doctor they need to be male good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring single pole thermostat in double pole fixture [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to install a line voltage programmable thermostat into a manual thermostat fixture. The programmable thermostat is Honeywell RLV430. Instruction manual here: http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/b7867367-6c05-4c82-a97c-648044b91564.pdf The...

Contact with therapist after therapy? [ 14 Answers ]

Is it considered ethical to have contact and/or establish a friendship with a counselor or therapist after treatment is complete? Why I'm asking is because we now live on the same block (just 2 houses apart) as a counselor I saw for 3 years. Since we moved here, we've been friendly with her and her...

Therapist as my friend [ 3 Answers ]

I became friends with my therapist after therapy was concluded. Now he is having his own mental health issues and I do not know how to handle it. Any advice?

One pole of untied double-pole circuit breaker breaks [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a new dryer (220 v appliance) to replace an older model. The old dryer was connected to the panel via a double-pole breaker except that there was no clip or tie between the poles. I changed the location of the outlet when installing the new dryer, replacing the cable with the...

My son is seeing a speech therapist [ 39 Answers ]

Okay so here is the deal. My son who is two (as you all know lol) is seeing a speech therapist. The doctor prescribed it, so I went along with it for a few weeks. Well now she is getting kind of weird. There are a few things that bother me about her. 1) she says that he needs behavior management...

View more questions Search