Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2024, 04:56 AM
    James Burnham at WSJ yesterday makes my comparison to the Nixon tapes better than I did .

"Joe Biden was sworn into the Senate in 1973, the year before Richard Nixon resigned the presidency. Apparently the young senator was taking notes. Mr. Biden echoed his predecessor last week by claiming executive privilege over tapes of an important presidential discussion. The current president’s argument, however, is much weaker.
    Special counsel Robert Hur interviewed the president in October about Mr. Biden’s handling of classified material during his time as a senator, vice president and private citizen. Mr. Hur recorded the conversation to prepare a transcript, which was subsequently released to the public. The House now wants the audio file, and two committees have subpoenaed it. Despite releasing the transcripts, the Biden administration has invoked executive privilege to conceal the tapes.
    The assertion of privilege isn’t based on the interview subject’s status as president. The Supreme Court explained in U.S. v. Nixon (1974) that executive privilege pertains to “presidential communications in the exercise of Art. II powers.” Mr. Hur spoke with Mr. Biden about his personal conduct before his inauguration, meaning presidential communications weren’t at issue.
    Mr. Biden has instead claimed, at Attorney General Garland’s request, that he can assert privilege over the Justice Department’s “law enforcement functions.” That is how the president justifies concealing not only the tapes of his interview with Mr. Hur but also those of his ghostwriter, Mark Zwonitzer, a private citizen.
    Whatever the application of executive privilege to Justice Department investigations of private citizens, it can’t be used to conceal tapes after transcripts have been released. Mr. Biden waived whatever privilege might protect these interviews when he released their contents in full.
    In arguing to the contrary, Messrs. Biden and Garland rely on a 2008 opinion by Attorney General Michael Mukasey deeming privileged certain interviews by special counsel Patrick Fitzgerald. But the contents of those interviews—concerning high-level White House discussions—were confidential. Mr. Mukasey asserted privilege over information, not audio recordings.
    Mr. Garland cites a handful of judicial decisions that purport to establish a distinction between audio recordings and transcripts, but none support his attempt to withhold the tapes from Congress. How public-records law applies to recordings of astronauts in the Challenger disaster, or how the common-law right of access applies to video depositions of President Clinton in a criminal case involving others, tells us little about the present context.
    Ironically, Mr. Garland invokes Richard Nixon, supporting the former president’s argument in Nixon v. Warner Communications (1978) that the press didn’t have a legal right to obtain tapes that had been admitted into evidence at a trial for some of his former advisers.
    The attorney general claims that asserting privilege over the audio recordings is necessary to protect the integrity of criminal investigations. But we already know what Messrs. Biden and Zwonitzer said based on the transcripts. Even if releasing an audio recording could harm some hypothetical criminal case, that isn’t at issue here. The investigation is over and the case is closed. Besides, Congress has a strong legislative interest in ensuring that the department it created is enforcing with integrity the criminal statutes it enacted.
    Mr. Garland claims that concealing the tapes is necessary to ensure future witnesses cooperate with investigations. Yet it’s unlikely that anyone would agree to transcriptions but not audio recordings. Even if that were the case, it wouldn’t undermine future investigations. The Federal Bureau of Investigation hardly needs recordings to do its work and routinely relies on agent-written summaries of interviews.
    Further, the Justice Department doesn’t rely on strangers’ munificence or let witnesses dictate the terms of its investigations. It relies on compulsory process. When several White House staffers and I sat for interviews with special counsel Robert Mueller’s attorneys during their investigation of the Trump administration, we weren’t doing them a favor. We sought to avoid being summoned to a grand jury.
    Mr. Biden’s parallels with Nixon extend further. In resisting disclosure of his recordings, Nixon lamented that they “will be seized upon by my political and journalistic opponents.” Mr. Biden has likewise justified his stonewalling by claiming that the tapes would be used “for partisan purposes.” But fear of political consequences isn’t a legitimate basis to refuse compliance with a congressional subpoena, then or now.
    Finally, the administration’s justification for defying congressional subpoenas stands in uneasy contrast with its prosecution of political opponents for similar conduct. The Justice Department prosecuted Trump aides Steve Bannon and Peter Navarro for criminal contempt because they refused to comply with congressional subpoenas on grounds of executive privilege. Save for a handful of guilty pleas in recent decades, these were the first prosecutions for contempt of Congress in roughly 40 years.
    Mr. Biden’s refusal to release the tapes is another maneuver that is difficult to square with the administration’s claimed embrace of the “longstanding norms regarding the Department’s independence.” The long-term consequences of this gambit are uncertain, but for now Congress and, if necessary, the courts, must swiftly reject it. If Nixon had to produce the tapes, so does Mr. Biden."
    Mr. Burnham served as senior associate counsel to the president (2017), deputy assistant attorney general (2018-20) and counselor to the attorney general (2020). He is now the principal at King Street Legal PLLC.

Biden, Nixon and the Hur Report - WSJ
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2024, 12:31 PM
    Speaking of elder abuse ;the WH sent Joe out to Detroit last week to address the NAACP . There is a video showing a juiced up Joe rambling through a speech that the WH had to amend the transcript 9 times to correct his errors .

President Biden speaks at NAACP Fight for Freedom Fund Dinner (youtube.com)

see all the corrections here .

Remarks by President Biden at a Campaign Event | Detroit, MI | The White House (archive.org)

"My dad was an automobile manager. Detroit put food on our table every night. Oh, not a joke. Not a joke. And when I was vice president, things were kinda bad during the pandemic. And what happened was, Barack said to me, 'Go to Detroit! And help fix it.' Well, [the] poor mayor, he spent more time with me than he ever thought he was gonna have to."

Here is the WH correction
    And when I was vice president, things were kind of bad during the pandemic [recession], and what happened was Barack said to me, “Go to Detroit and help fix it.” Well, poor mayor, he spent more time with me than he ever thought he was going to have to. (Laughter.) God love you.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2024, 03:07 AM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Elder Law [ 4 Answers ]

My mother is currently in assisted living and is broke. I am selling her house and would like to know the best way to handle the proceeds. I was advised to put the money in a single premium immediate annuity naming the state as beneficiary and myself as second beneficiary. I thought annuities...

Box elder bugs [ 2 Answers ]

I have tons in my house they crawl on everything including my three month old son I don't know what the tree looks like to get rid of it and I need these bugs gone how can I get them out for cheap I got five kids and they r nasty bugs

How can a person be so abnormal to physical abuse,and sexually abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

My,cousin was missing for 2 yrs. And was on crystal meth for a long time but,she also was mentally abused,and most likely sexually abused.She is not the same anymore she lost her self being,and is always wanting sex,she steals,lies,and agrees to everything,she doesn't know who she really is...

Where can I report elder financial abuse [ 7 Answers ]

First I would like to say that I live in canada. My mother moved in with my brother and his wife aprox, 3 years ago. At first it was fine. She was suppose to pay 300 a month rent. Shortly later it changed that she would buy the groceries instead of paying rent. I have had access to her bank...

Elder law [ 2 Answers ]

Since 1999 I have been taking care of my grandmother. It started with home maintenance and has progressed to help with finances, medical appointments, and basic physical care. In July of last year my uncle's daughter, her boyfriend and their daughter moved in with my grandmother. Neither of them...

View more questions Search