Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andrea2730 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2015, 02:48 PM
    Fluidmaster Pro45 installation
    I was charged $600.00 dollars to have 2 of these installed in 2 toilets. I feel I was grossly overcharged. I would like to get an opinion from a plumber on the going rate for installing this $20.00 part.

Thank you,
    Andrea
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2015, 03:25 PM
    Hi Andrea

Was this the only part installed at each toilet or did they replace ALL the parts? On this site I never comment on pricing as it can vary quite a bit between states, but $280.00 each toilet is definitely excessive. I live in the Boston area (not cheap pricing here, for sure) and I only get about $125.00-$150.00 for each toilet... if I do two, I would probably do it for around $200.00 to $250.00 max.

Is it possible that you were not informed about some of the work done? Do all the parts in the toilet look new? Finally, how many hours were the plumber(s) there and did he/she have a helper? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2015, 02:45 PM
    I agree with Mark, it is definitely excessive, did you agree with the plumber before he she start working if you did it is too late because you agreed with, good luck.

John
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Jul 23, 2015, 06:23 PM
    Andrea,
    Mark is correct, it is very difficult to assign a value for any plumbing job without knowing more about your demographic, and, the business model of your contractor. I calculate the correct selling price of my services factoring in labor, materials, overhead, taxes & fees, and profit.
    Overhead costs vary greatly; mine include : office rent, electricity, heating, cooling, equipment, supplies, technology, advertising, accountant fees, and staff. License fees ( I have 6 ), classes & training, continuing education, local, state, & national association membership fees, and, uniforms. Insurance - vehicle, liability, workers comp, unemployment, life, health and property. Salaries, bonuses, benefits, retirement savings, and vacation pay. Shop rent, electricity, cooling, heating, tools, equipment, supplies, and inventory. Vehicles - purchase / rental costs, maintenance, fuel, tools, supplies, travel allowance, and inventory.
    Some companies overhead is extreme... a friend of mine operates in New York City, he has to pay employees just to drive & monitor his vans because there is rarely parking, or, even idling allowed in front of many apartment buildings, and, in spite of these monitors, he still pays 20 to 40k in parking violations yearly, and, his plumbers often have to check - in for security clearance, wait to share a freight / service elevator, and be chaperoned around by the buildings superintendent. Yes, the actual repair to two toilets may only take an hour or less, but, the staging, traveling, and preparation can take many hours - $ 600.00 to repair two toilets in NYC would be a bargain............
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2015, 09:19 PM
    Hello Andrea, sorry about your bad experience.....

I run my business in one of the most expensive cities in the country. I cannot tell you what "your" plumber "should have" charge you - but I can only tell you what we would charge if called to do such a repair.

Our charge for such work would not exceed $240.00 - labor and materials.

Milo
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 26, 2015, 02:25 PM
    Everyone charges differently for labor, but you can buy 2 Fluidmaster Pro 45 fill valves only for about $20, average price is under $10 plus tax for each one in my area, and if that is the only part being replaced 2 hours labor is more than enough time to install, that does not include the service call and transportation.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 26, 2015, 02:31 PM
    Everyone charges differently for labor, but you can buy 2 Fluidmaster Pro 45 fill valves only for about $20, average price is under $10 plus tax for each one in my area, and if that is the only part being replaced 2 hours labor is more than enough time to install, that does not include the service call, transportation and overhead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisling fluidmaster valve [ 4 Answers ]

How do I cure the wistling noise post flushing the toilet

Fluidmaster 400C leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new Fluidmaster 400C fill valve that is working, but now I've got a small leak. The water in the tank drips just a little bit, which didn't used to happen, and the fill valve makes a quiet humming sound when it doesn't need to, like it wants to work even when it hasn't been...

Fluidmaster Toilet RepaIr Kit [ 0 Answers ]

Only 2 months old. Was working fine. Now float will not stop water from overflowing the tank. Does not cut off. I will buy another one again. This model is #400AKRP10 $19.98 they have another model 404LGRP10 for $20.48 I wonder if the latter is better?

FluidMaster Tank Level Too High [ 3 Answers ]

My water level is to high and the toilet won't stop running, that, or the water won't stop running. My insides look like the picture above. How do I get the water to stop running? It even sounds like its running when I turn the water off at the valve.

I like others I have a screeching Fluidmaster valve. [ 1 Answers ]

Due to the valve not filling correctly, I replaced the whole cap and after a day it started screeching as others have indicated. I re-flushed the new body, removed diaphragm and cleaned it all out thoroughly (although no debris was in evidence) , all to no avail. Wonder what else may be the...

View more questions Search