Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 25, 2014, 12:16 PM
    Floor mounted receptacle.
    I need to install a 240-volt receptacle for an electric oven in a stove. Because of access issues, it would be much easier to install a surface mounted receptacle on the floor. Is there anything wrong with doing this?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 25, 2014, 01:13 PM
    I can't speak for codes where you are, but every house I have ever owned or lived in had the plug on the floor right at the wall.
    (A bit puzzled by your wording 'electric oven in a stove.' A stove is a single appliance, consisting of an oven and burners on top.)

Nov 25, 2014, 01:30 PM
    I agree the wording is awkward. It is a dual fuel stove, with a gas cooktop and electric oven - didn't put that in the question to try to be more clear. I guess I wasn't.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 05:36 AM
    If you are in the USA, then please carefully review the installation instructions that come with your appliance. You are required to follow these instructions...for electrical installations the manufacturer's installation instructions are required by National Electrical Code Article 110.3(B)...
    Some range instructions will outline for you the space behind the range permitted to contain a cord and plug. Others may require a "hardwired" installation. Please read these instructions.

Nov 26, 2014, 06:51 AM
    I have checked the install instructions. A power cord is fine and the circuit is what they want. I also know the allowed places to locate the receptacle. What I'm not sure of is whether I can use a surface mounted receptacle on the floor facing up.

Quote Originally Posted by dclynch View Post
    I have checked the install instructions. A power cord is fine and the circuit is what they want. I also know the allowed places to locate the receptacle. What I'm not sure of is whether I can use a surface mounted receptacle on the floor facing up.
    To get the cable into the wall for a conventional circuit, I would have to cut into the band joist, which I'd rather not do.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 07:48 AM
    if I understand, you are saying the cable comes up through the floor....
    if so, you can still surface mount the receptacle against the wall...
    As an inspector I would prefer that to the receptacle flat on the floor.

Nov 26, 2014, 09:04 AM
    The problem with that is that with the plug in place, it will stick out too much to get the stove all the way back to the wall. If the receptacle is mounted face up, the plug does not add more to the distance of the obstruction from the wall.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2014, 09:18 AM
    If you mount the receptacle on the wall, "at the floor", is it still in the way?
    I recall that's where the instructions recommend...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Receptacle distance from floor for 240v Stove? [ 4 Answers ]

Am told by city inspector that the distance is 8". But the origional installation (20 yrs ago) was 12". Who is correct?

Floor mounted wall plumbed toilets [ 2 Answers ]

I have an older home and little did I realize when I bought it what "Wallplumbed" toilets that do not touch the ground were about. THEY ARE A FREAKING NIGHTMARE! I want to replace them as I have had to repair them several times and cannot seem to find an affordable replacement, all the toilets are...

Replace or repair wall mounted toilets-change to floor mounted? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older home with wall mounted toilets ‘back to back‘ in adjacent bathrooms. One of the toilets is damaged and needs to be repaired or replaced. Both toilets have deposits built up over the years. Would it be more cost effective to replace one or both of the toilets with new wall mounted...

Floor receptacle [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Do receptacles mounted in the floor need to be on a GFIC circuit? Thanks

Changing from a wall hung toilet to a floor mounted one. [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1962 and has Case model 3000 wall hung toilets. I am remodeling one bathroom and have to change the plumbing over from wall hung to floor mount. The problem I have is that the current closet flange is mounted to a T with one side going to the sewer and the other going to the...

View more questions Search