Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbsbita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2013, 10:49 AM
    Pipe from wall is too long for tub spout
    I have a tub with a spout that uses a bottom-up diverter. It is old, corroded and does not work properly. I bought a replacement delta top-down diverter spout. The problem is the pipe from the wall is too long and if I screw the new spout on I am left with 1-1.5” of exposed pipe. I am unsure how to proceed. Do I cut the pipe? The new spout has an adaptor for a non-threaded pipe but I am not sure I trust that. Or can I buy a shorter or adjustable adaptor (the long piece of plastic inside the spout that attaches to the wall pipe)? Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 7, 2013, 12:31 PM
    Well you have a choice. You can cut the pipe and solder on another male threaded adapter or you can cut the pipe and use the slip fit adapter.
    To use the threaded adapter, measure from the shoulder of the existing adapter to the wall. Reduce that measurement by 1.5 inches and cut the pipe there. Solder on a new adapter.
    To use the slip fit adapter simply cut off the existing threaded adapter. The slip fit adapter is quite common. There is no water pressure on the spout and all the slip fitting adapter has to do is hold the spout in place.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2013, 01:35 PM
    I agree with Harold you can go either way, but would suggest to go with the slip type, see the attachment for dimensions, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Oct 7, 2013, 01:41 PM
    What is the material of the stubout pipe for spout, copper, galvanized, brass or other material?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Space between tub spout and wall [ 2 Answers ]

We have about an inch space b/t our tub spout and wall. We are in the middle of a remodel. How do we fix it?

Adapt old tub pipe spout [ 9 Answers ]

This is a picture of my wall without the old spout (house built in 1952)... now what? Will I be able to find a spout that threads to this large pipe? Or do I adapt the pipe to add a small, normal nipple? If so how? Login | Facebook

Tub spout leaks at wall [ 4 Answers ]

I have this same problem. I had a new tub wall insert put in. The copper supply pipe is too short. I have the second type of spout shown above. It has an Allen wrench set screw. I think what is happening is the pipe is not making it to the O ring and water is bouncing back. I can't solder a new...

Tub spout leaks at wall [ 9 Answers ]

I just installed a new tub with a tiled surround. The fixtures are brand new. I have a single handled water control and the shower diverter is operated by a pull rod on the tub spout. This is my question. When I lift the diverter to run the shower, I get water running out the back of the spout...

Replacing tub spout but pipe not square with wall [ 12 Answers ]

I took off the old tub spout and am replacing it with a new one... just a simple universal one that has a diverter. Thought that this would be an easy task, but the pipe stub isn't square with the wall, so when the spout is installed, there is about a 1/4" gap on the top between the wall and the...

View more questions Search