Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohbah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
    Install gas line to replace electric cook top
    Hi, my name is Ohbah and I hate my electric cook top stove. Only 2 burners work and I would really like to switch to gas. Would 1/4" line deliver enough gas to a gas cook top (no oven). Any help would so appreciated.

Thank you so much :)
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2013, 09:50 PM
    If you have gas available, this is a job for a plumber. The line I believe is usually 3/4''.

Chuck
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Aug 20, 2013, 05:53 AM
    If you are using a 4 burner cooktop only without a oven, you should use 1/2" gas pipe, a minimum of 3/8" might be sufficient, but to be safe 1/2" would be the way to go.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 20, 2013, 04:27 PM
    The real answer to the question depends on distance from the gas meter (or propane tank) and the BTU load at all the other appliances. Did you plan on cutting into a gas main or running a dedicated gas line? What materials did you plan to use?

Gas work like this requires a licensed gas-fitter or a licensed plumber and it requires proper testing and inspection by a local plumbing inspector.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a elec cook top with gas [ 1 Answers ]

A box mounted in the kitchen island has two 4 wire lines feeding the cook top. Can I cap off one the lines(abandon it) and connect the gas with the remaining line using the black and white and capping off the red?

Replacing electric cook-top with a gas cook-top. 30 amp breaker to 15 amp? [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing an electric cooktop with a gas cooktop. The electric cooktop is wired to a 30 amp breaker. The gas cook-top needs a 15 amp breaker. Do I need to pull the 30 amp service and run a new line from a new 15amp breaker? There is plenty of room in the panel to do this.

Hi I have a GE profile gas top electric convection oven all in one. [ 0 Answers ]

I don't know the model because I can't pull it out it's too heavy. The problem is this... the digital panel that controls the oven has an OM and stop clock on it and nothing else and the oven has stopped working. I know the oven not brand new but one day it was working fine, the next day not. Can...

Should I replace my electric furnace with a gas one?\ [ 1 Answers ]

I need to replace my existing electric HVAC system and was wondering if I should change to gas or stay with electric?

How to install electric ignition on gas furnace [ 1 Answers ]

Gas furnace (gravity system, no motors, no fans) - pilot light is on 24/7. Would like to install electronic ignition. Need installation instructions and schematics.

View more questions Search