Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Jul 1, 2013, 07:19 PM
    1 in. pipe to a gas cooktop
    Hello, are there any references on suggested sequences of fittings to connect a capped 1 in. gas pipe (see the image) to a gas stove? This pipe is about 2 ft. tall, inside the wall, and hasn't been used for a while. What I have thought of was putting an elbow, 5 in. nipple and another elbow (all with 1 in. thread) to get the pipe outside the wall and U-turned downwards; then put a reducer bushing to switch to 1/2 in. thread for connection to the stove through gas ball valve, steel gas connector, flare fitting etc. Would this many fittings be acceptable or there are special fittings to minimize the number of joints? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    Attached Images

harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Jul 2, 2013, 12:37 PM
    It also looks like that whoever hooks up the gas range has to break the drywall next to where the cap is to free some space for rotation of 1 in. elbow, because the pipe itself does not give in any direction.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2013, 02:28 PM
    If you remove the cross blocking, you will probably be able to move the pipe. Look at the floor notch. Then use a 1 >1/2" IP reducer, a 1/2 street ell and a 1/2"IP to flare fitting gas valve. Pipe dope or YELLOW Teflon tape on the 3 threads.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jul 2, 2013, 02:58 PM
    If this is a new range make sure you use the pressure regulater that comes packed with it. In this area after you are out of the wall in 1/2 pipe with value you can hook up to range with flexible stove connecter
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 2, 2013, 03:30 PM
    Hi Harum

Whomever does this job should remove the 2"x4" that holds the pipe in place now, install the reducing 90 (1"x1/2") and then stub out of the wall with a short nipple and cap for now (until sheetrocked/drywalled). These fittings inside the wall should then be tested properly and inspected by a local plumbing/gas inspector. Remember to hang the pipe again after the reducing elbow, nipple and cap are installed.

I don't know of any states that require residential regulators anymore (as they are installed on the main gas supply before/after the gas meter) and I don't know of any stoves that send them with the new stove, but I suppose it should be checked... just in case!

Finally, of utmost importance after installation of the stove will be to install the ANTITIP device (see image) that is supplied with all gas stoves/ranges. These antitip devices save lives so do be sure to install it, OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a gas cooktop over a gas oven [ 1 Answers ]

I want to install a gas cooktop over a built-in gas oven in a under the counter cabinet.. I understand that this configuration is not normally done.. (installation is normally a gas cooktop with an electric built-in oven combination)... Is there a code specification that I must follow for this...

Attaching properly gas flex pipe to gas pipe and gas stove [ 5 Answers ]

How do I properly attach the flex pipe to the gas stove on one end and the supply pipe on the other end? Do I need a gas poxy? If so what is the proper method of application--on both sides of the attachments (flex pipe and gas supply pipe/stove) or on just one, how much is enough? How tight do I...

I need to run a gas line to a new cooktop. [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling my kitchen and I used to have an electric range and now I have a gas cooktop and a double oven (the oven is electric). I have gas to the water heater, but nowhere else in the house. Just need to know if there is specific type if line to use and if there are codes as to where it has...

Jennair Cooktop Gas Igniter [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Iwas wondering if anyone may be having or have had problems with the igniter on the 5 burner cook top. One of the igniters no longer seems to be working. I tried to clean it but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Gas cooktop [ 1 Answers ]

Who invented the gas cooktop and in what year?

View more questions Search