Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cirelo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2013, 07:06 AM
    2 drains, 1 P-trap?
    I am remodeling my bathroom, and installing a clawfoot tub. I am going to slope the floor and put in a floor drain as well. The drain for the tub and the floor drain are going to be 24" from each other, and I was planning to bring the two drain lines together using a 45 degree sanitary T.

I am going to use all 2" pvc, and I have very limited under-floor space, so my plan was to have both drains immediately go into 90's, and then connect them in the horizontal plane using the "T".

My question is if I need to have 2 p-traps, 1 for each drain, of if I can have 1 p-trap after the "T".

Also, how close does the vent line need to be to the drain, and to the p-trap? I will have to install a new vent line as well, and I am planning to use an air admittance valve because there is nowhere to go with the vent line.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 11:39 AM
    Hi Cirelo

Sorry, but you will need two Ptraps here.

You want to run an 1.5" drain over to the tub and keep the vent within 3-4 feet of the PTRAP.

For the floor drain, 2" is recommended and in many states this doesn't have to be vented, but I would check requirements of your state to be sure.

If you are installing a floor drain, you should probably also look into installing a TRAP-PRIMER... keeps the trap wet at all times. Here, I usually install the trap-primer under the vanity/sink and run the 1/2" pipe over to the PTRAP (direct connect).

More questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
    In addition to Mark's advice, in my area, tubs require 2" trap and drain - but 1 1/2" vent. Definitely check with your local plumbing Code... Good luck with your project... Milo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 13, 2013, 08:30 AM
    My concern is not with the traps, ( the tub requires one and floor drains have one built in)But the fact that you wish to use one drain for both fixtures. I can see future backups coming out of the floor drain. In my area floor drains do not require a vent and discharge into the main by themselves. Cheers, Tom
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Apr 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
    Check local plumbing code, in my area 3" is the smallest floor drain allowed ,1 1/2" is allowed for tub. If you don't have to be concerned with code, check Marks's and Tom's post, both are very good advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if my kitchen sink p-trap is higher than the sink drains [ 3 Answers ]

Same question, but limited options for repair. My drain out line into the wall is not accessible and cannot be lowered. My kitchen sink drains will be 3-4 lower than that outlet line. Can't change that. So how do I make it work out?

Water backup in basement shower when kitchen sink drains fast but not when drains slo [ 5 Answers ]

House is 3 years new, purchased it a year ago (2011), started smelling bad odour, like rotten eggs after we moved.The problem was intermitten, The smell started in the kitchen sink upstairs and then ended up in the basement.After a long while we realized that when we drain the kitchen sink (free...

When my bathtub drains it drains Very slow and my toilet bubbles, what wrong? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, My house is pretty old, both my bathtub and toilet drain into our septic tank. Any time water drains out of our bathtub the toilet starts bubbling and when it stops bubbling the water stops drainging and takes a very long time to empty out and we can't flush our toilet during this time. But we...

Tub/Shower drains slow, trap is clear [ 4 Answers ]

I have a slab house about 50 years old. The tub/shower drains slowly and during the bathroom remolding I was able to remove the trap for the tub which was filled with black sludge. I also bought a rubber attachment that you put on a garden hose and it expands inn the pipe forcing water through. I...

View more questions Search