Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikeemerder Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2013, 12:44 PM
    My kohler whirlpool tub leaks through the floor when the jets are on
    Our Kohler tub and our home is 5 years old. We have been bathing our child but hadn't used the jets for some time. After my wife used the whirlpool feature we noticed water leaking out of the ceiling vent in our basement directly below the bathroom. Nothing else leaks and we haven't had a leak since then but we have ran water in that tub, just not up to the jets or water inlet. I took off the side panel but didn't see any signs of a leak, nor did I see much room to work on it. Would the lack of use of the jet feature dry out any seals etc? It is a Kohler Devonshire.
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Apr 8, 2013, 10:13 AM
    Many problems could be causing leak, it could be the whirlpool pump, or from the piping going from the pump to the jets or the return piping, the seal on one of the jets on the backside of tub or it could even be from the overflow when jets are running and water is above the overflow. Take the panel off and run pump with water in tub higher than the jets and see if you can see what is leaking.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2013, 10:28 AM
    Is there an inspection door on the face of the unit or possibly around the corner in a closet or other room? What model?

Apr 8, 2013, 10:41 AM
    Took the panel off and ran, could not see any leak evidence.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Is the floor of the cavity wet anywhere?

Apr 8, 2013, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Is there an inspection door on the face of the unit or possibly around the corner in a closet or other room? What model?
    I will take some photos and include the model info in a day or so. Thank you.

Apr 8, 2013, 11:58 AM
    Not signs of water behind the service panel. But the panel only exposes a very small area.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2013, 05:15 PM
    Can the front apron be removed? Let me know, Tom
    mattnjn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2014, 07:08 AM
    I have the same problem with my kohler whirlpool tub it leaks when I turn the jets on but what do you mean when the jets are overflowing and it makes it leak?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 2, 2014, 11:25 AM
    Answer the above questuons and we'll go from thefre. Back to you, Tom
    hokielovin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2018, 03:42 PM
    Mine leaks too but from where the flange contacts the tub. How do I fix that? Also my tub overflow empties back in to the waste line. How can a leak be due to the overflow?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 13, 2018, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hokielovin View Post
    Mine leaks too but from where the flange contacts the tub. How do I fix that? Also my tub overflow empties back in to the waste line. How can a leak be due to the overflow?
    You are accessing an old post from 2013. Please originate a new post so that you can get the proper people to answer your questions.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2018, 02:00 PM
    Hello Hokielovin,

If your tub leaks at the drain connection between tub and the drain, than you have to either tighten up the drain flange - or - if it doesn't help, replace gasked between tub and drain.

Your tub overflow is designed to empty into the waste line. Drain and overflow connect in one common pipe behind the tub. There are couple of joints ( provided it is not glued PVC / ABS pipe ) that may be loose and leaking. Fill the tub all the way to the overflow, open access door, and with flash light - see if you see any leaks. Proceed with repairs accordingly. If it is a pipe with glued connections, and that pipe leaks, than you will have to cut it out and replace it with new pipe and fittings

Let me know how you did

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you remove the jets in a whirlpool tub? [ 0 Answers ]

How do you remove the jets in a whirlpool tub or seal them up permanently?

How do I permantly seal jets on a whirlpool tub? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a perfectly good tub not being used because of leaky jets, so I want to permantly seal them and use the tub as a soaking tub.

How to set a whirlpool tub on second floor? [ 4 Answers ]

We are remodelling our bathroom and need to mortar bed a whirlpool tub. The bath is on the second floor and there is a hole in the floor where the drain goes beneath subfloor. How do we set the mortar and keep it from going down the hole?

Leaky overflow drain on Kohler whirlpool tub [ 1 Answers ]

My Kohler Infinity whirlpool tub is leaking from the overflow drain. I tried to tighten the screws but I am worried about cracking the fiberglass. The rubber seal looks OK. Any ideas?

View more questions Search