Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MaplewoodMiles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
    Rough in copper water lines for slab?
    Remodeling a bathroom on a slab and have 1 question in particular but would also love to hear other tips. Question being are you allowed to sweat pipes under the slab? Or are you supposed to use the flexible copper roll? Obviously we need to reroute some copper. What's the best way to go about what will be covered in concrete afterwards?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 04:17 PM
    Hi MWM

You are NOT allowed to sweat pipes underground, so you should use the rolled refrigeration tubing that is approved of for underground water piping in your area just like you thought.

Another option would be to use PEX thermoplastic tubing, but again, no fittings underground. The PEX tubing is MUCH cheaper, but they bang you pretty hard on the fittings. Labor is also faster here, but you need special tools to work with PEX, so it may or may not be reasonable depending on how much work you are doing here... ;) The place you purchase the PEX may or may not be able to rent the tools, so ask real quick if this interests you... may save you time/money/hassle!

Mark
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Jan 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
    No sweat joints underground, use at least L copper coil or K copper is even better, but more expensive and a little harder to work with. Use armiflex pipe insulation on pipes where they come through the concrete. You could also cover the copper with visqueen before backfill.
    MaplewoodMiles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2013, 04:36 PM
    Now if we are rerouting existing copper how are we supposed to move it without an underground joint?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 22, 2013, 04:54 PM
    Copper joints under ground need to be either flared, or brazed. Either is acceptable by most codes. I would stick to Type K copper for all underground copper (most codes require it anyway). Above ground in the dwelling, L or M is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost to remove/replace galvanized water lines in walls with copper lines. [ 3 Answers ]

The long water lines have been replaced under the house, but not the lines in the wall. What would the cost be for kitchen, 1 full and one 3/4 bath?

Relocate in-slab copper supply lines [ 1 Answers ]

I am removing the tub/shower from our master bath (ground floor; slab foundation); replacing the shower/tub with a luxurious shower. The copper supply lines need to be moved 18 inches to accommodate the new shower. The supply lines are in slab. If the answer already exists in the forum, please...

Hot water lines under slab quickly cool the water. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a good fix for a hot water problem in a 30 year old 20' x 40' condo that is on a slab. The hot water heater is on one end of the unit and the copper pipe runs 40' under the slab to the other end where there is a shower/bathroom. It loops from there back to a second bathroom and on...

Preventing freezing water lines in slab [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a slab home with in floor radiant heat. Slow heat up times coupled with fast heat loss & high heating bills make me wonder if the slab was properly insulated. I am considering relying more upon the backup forced air unit to cut costs. My concern is that all of my plumbing runs...

Copper water lines [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew how to keep the copper water lines in a basement from leaking/dripping condensation onto the ceiling...

View more questions Search