Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saundrella Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
    Allowable depth of p trap in shower drain
    We would like to pass the 2 inch shower drain pipe just below the joist instead of cutting a hole in the joist and passing the pipe through it. This would require setting the top of the p trap 13 inches below the shower floor. Will we be violating any code in Minnesota if we do this?

Saundra Singh
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2012, 12:25 PM
    I don't know about Minnesota but I did the same thing here in Florida and it passed inspection whit no problem. Good luck, Tom
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Sep 29, 2012, 04:09 PM
    It is legal in Ohio.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
    I agree, legal but there are also codes specifying where and how large a hole can be drilled in a floor joist. You would need a hole slightly more than 2 3/8" which is the OD of a PVC drain. How tall is your floor joist? Rereading your post today I realize I missed your point, sorry, Go ahead
    Saundrella Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I agree, legal but there are also codes specifying where and how large a hole can be drilled in a floor joist. You would need a hole slightly more than 2 3/8" which is the OD of a PVC drain. How tall is your floor joist?
    We do not wish to go through the joist. We wish to go just under the joist but were wondering if the distance from the p trap to the floor (13") above involves a violation of code. Another fellow, plus the plumber in Sarasota said it would be fine to go under the joist. Thank you all for your speedy replies. We're going for it!

Saundra
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
    Another fellow, plus the plumber in Sarasota said it would be fine to go under the joist.
    install the trap beneath the joist. You should have no problem with the inspection. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower P trap not under drain [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am attempting to install a shower stall into my basement where there is a roughin. I have hit a few problems in that the roughin drain is inly 1 1/2 inch line not a 2" which the stall drain calls for and also the drain is in the wrong place. I have cut the floor to move the drain to the...

Shower drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed a bathtub and I'm replacing with a shower. The shower tile installer asked that the new drain be placed in the middle of the floor. There is a heating duct that prevents placing the drain trap directly under the drain. Is there a problem if I run an 8" section of drain pipe to a...

Shower drain p trap location [ 2 Answers ]

This is probably not a complicated question but I just want to make sure. I am replacing the drain line from the shower to the main drain in my grandmother's house. Very old house and pipes with a drum trap that just won't get unclogged (I've tried chemicals, plunging and an auger, though not in...

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

View more questions Search