Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calimoli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Fl condo law outside main water leak
    I live in a condo in pembroke pines,fl there was a water main break outside under bushes that went undetected for God knows how long. As soon as I was told of it by the condo "maintenance man" I called the city. They came out immediately & determined it was on the condo side. The condo called a plumbing co & fixed the leak. 4 units in building, I was the very unlucky one stuck with an $866.70 bill for the month, when usually I pay $49.00. Assoc says they are only responsible for the plumbing repair. I got a copy of the repair bill &went to the city utility. They did give me a credit for only the sewerage portion. The remaining balance is 460.81. Who is really responsible for that? Anyone know? I can't afford yet another monetary hit. Thank you. Mary
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2012, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by calimoli View Post
    I live in a condo in pembroke pines,fl there was a water main break outside under bushes that went undetected for God knows how long. As soon as i was told of it by the condo "maintenance man" i called the city. They came out immediately & determined it was on the condo side. The condo called a plumbing co & fixed the leak. 4 units in building, i was the very unlucky one stuck with an $866.70 bill for the month, when usually i pay $49.00. Assoc says they are only responsible for the plumbing repair. I got a copy of the repair bill &went to the city utility. They did give me a credit for only the sewerage portion. The remaining balance is 460.81. Who is really responsible for that? Anyone know? I can't afford yet another monetary hit. Thank you. Mary

Why, if the water main broke, a main servicing 4 units, are you the only person responsible for the bill for the water?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
    Greetings from Sarasota and welcome to AMHD.com.
    Were these other 4 units serviced by this meter or just your unit?
    Perhaps a lawyer could argue your case but in my area a water service from a meter to your unit is considered to be your responsibility. It's too bad the leak wasn't discovered earlier but the water was metered out and someone has to pay for it. One more time
    Were these other 4 units serviced by this meter or just your unit? Back to you, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 10, 2012, 05:35 PM
    Yes you need to tell us more on how the water is normally charged.

If this was the line going from the main to your condo unit, and only you are billed, then it is not the main, but it is your water line and your water and your bill.

If this is a "main" that leads to four units and all of you pay or share the bill,

You have not given enough info except to allow us to guess
    mollypup Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 07:28 PM
    There ate 4 units with their own meter &receive own bill
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 05:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post

Then I don't understand it. I owned a condo.

4 meters, 4 bills, 4 people split excessive usage in the event of breakage. I'd speak to the condo association AND the water department. In my area the extra charges are "waived" in many instances.

Are you 1 person with 2 user names?
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Sep 13, 2012, 06:22 AM
    If the water line was just servicing your unit on one meter you are responsibable, if it it was servicing 4 units on one meter then the cost should be split between the four units.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by puffmugs View Post
    If the water line was just servicing your unit on one meter you are responsibable, if it it was servicing 4 units on one meter then the cost should be split between the four units.

Did you read the thread? Each unit has its own meter - 4 units, 4 meters.

That's the problem.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2012, 06:33 AM
    The original question was asked by calimoli and the question was asked
    Were these other 4 units serviced by this meter or just your unit?
    However this question was answered, Not by calimoli but by a new voice, Mollypup. Who said
    How does she fit in? Is she a condo owner? If not how does she know the water setup? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to hear it from the OP. Were these other 4 units serviced by this meter or just your unit? Please respond, Tom

Sep 13, 2012, 09:31 AM
    I also would like to hear it from the OP as Tom suggest, not from Mollypup or JudyKayTee in order to give a helpful response. The OP did not make it clear if the meter is just servicing her unit or four units. Very important point.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
    My gut tells me that each unit has its own meter but I'd like to hear it from the OP. Regards, Tom

Sep 13, 2012, 01:21 PM
    Folks, sorry for the confusion. "Camoli" & "mollypup" are one in the same. Having trouble navigating. The plumbing bill reads as follows "found water main break at meter in bushes. Removed bushes to dig up on back side of meter in order to access 1" pvc line. Removed 1"female adapter &supplied & installed 1" check valve. Tested, system working normal" there are 4 units each with own water bill & meter. Thanks again.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    My gut tells me that each unit has its own meter but I'd like to hear it from the OP. Regards, Tom

She did post it - "There ate 4 units with their own meter &receive own bill"
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Ahh! Two handles! The mystery's solved! The bill is on the unit that connects to the meter.
    I assume the check valve was installed in place of a vacume breaker.
    Was this reason fitting was istalled? Is this a common practice in some areas? Just curious. Tom

Sep 13, 2012, 03:55 PM
    I only know wahat the plumber's bill stated. So, I guess I'm stuck with the insane water bill. Didn't understand about the "vacume breaker" or the reason why this "fitting was installed" thanks again
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
    Sorry Molly,Looks like you're stuck. Would it be possible to meet with the water Department and see if they can reduce the bill? Although the usage came from your meter it was due to no fault of yours. Good luck, tom
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Ahh! Two handles! The mystery's solved! The bill is on the unit that connects to the meter.
    I assume the check valve was installed in place of a vacume breaker.
    Was this reason fitting was istalled? Is this a common practice in some areas? Just curious. Tom

Tom, I don't know what this means. Could you just give a brief explanation? Thanks.

(Say hello to your bride.)
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
    I also would like to hear it from the the OP as Tom suggest, not from Mollypup or JudyKayTee in order to give a helpful response. The OP did not make it clear if the meter is just servicing her unit or four units. Very important point.

It was very obvious to me that it was 1 person with 2 user names.

Please don't attempt to dictate who will and who will not post/answer.

I do notice you follow other plumbers and agree (or disagree) with them. Perhaps you don't understand how AMHD works - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...m-695921.html; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...n-693030.html; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...e-653825.html; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...e-649251.html; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...s-634901.html; https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbi...nt-618032.html
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
    I also would like to hear it from the the OP as Tom suggest, not from Mollypup or JudyKayTee in order to give a helpful response. The OP did not make it clear if the meter is just servicing her unit or four units. Very important point.
    Some members post a question then forget the password or have trouble getting back here and wind up creating a new account.

I think Tom was referring to the two names as "handles".

But the bill seems clear. The leak was on the "back side" of the meter, meaning the house side.

Sep 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Sorry Judy, but it was not obvious to me as it was not also to Tom and others that it was one OP with 2 usernames. I do understand how AMHD works and try my best to answer questions in the plumbing industry only, which I am sure my expertise as a plumber for 46 years qualifies me to answer. Most disagreements with other plumbers are due to differences in plumbing codes in different areas of the country since there is no National Plumbing Code. Would be interested in your plumbing backround. No disrespect intended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condo Plumbing Water Leak [ 33 Answers ]

I live in an 8 unit condominium in Florida. I have had it confirmed by two plumbing companies that there is a water leak in the concrete in the master bathroom. The copper piping is set in concrete. They tell me I have to have the whole condo unit, mine, repiped. Who's responsibility is this? The...

Toilet leak/water main [ 2 Answers ]

We turned off our water main, but water is still trickling out of the toilet supply hose. What next?

We just turned off our water main to fix a leak. Will it affect our radiant heat? [ 1 Answers ]

We just had to turn off our water main in the middle of the night to fix a leak. We have radiant heat - old radiators throughout the house, but with a furnace, not a boiler. Will having the water turned off affect our heat?

Florida, I have a 100 yr old oak and a water leak in the main from meter to house [ 4 Answers ]

Speedball1, Tom - I have been reading some of your posts. I live in St. Petersburg, FL. I have a leak in my main from meter to house and there is a 100 year old oak and the driveway in between. Yikes! I know this will be costly just because of the tree roots alone and all the digging that will...

Main water shut off leak [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, I was curious to know if the main shut off in the house has to be "full" open or "full" closed to prevent leaks. I recently added a bathrrom on the third floor, no problems, then I needed to tie in a laundry room and shut off the main for about 1 hour, and turned it back on, 3 days later...

View more questions Search