Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chapekamum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
    Under mount sink
    HI there,
    I asked for an undermount sink in the bathroom. I was expecting the sink bowl to be flush with the countertop OR sit just under/in behind the quartz countertop. To my surprise, the porceline sink has a lip that sits 5mm out from the countertop (like a ledge with silicon on top of it). I would think soap and scum will settle there immediately. My installer tells me it is the current way to install an undermount. Is this normal? It looks to me like the sink bowl is a size too small for the countertop hole.
    Thanks!

[email protected]
    puffmugs Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Aug 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
    Undermount sinks should mount under the countertop leaving the countertop smooth to the sink with no sink lip.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 29, 2012, 08:41 PM
    I've done a lot of undermount sinks before and, if I understand your description, I never did one like that. Usually, unless the sink is designed to show the flange, the countertop usually overhangs the sink just a little. It actually sounds like they did the cut-out wrong and are trying to pass it off.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
    Yep, I agree with odinn, the counter was cut wrong and the installer is creating facts not in evidence (lie)
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 03:09 PM
    I agree with all above posts. It may be the current way your installer is doing it, but it isn't the current way I have seen any other installers do it. However, I would sure like to see a pic of it. If you could post one here, I would surely appreciate it. Take care.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    However, I would sure like to see a pic of it. If you could post one here, I would surely appreciate it. Take care.
    Yeah, a pic or two would be great.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 31, 2012, 10:11 PM
    Your installer is full of it...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glacier bay faucet parts?wall mount kitchen sink/porcelain knobs [ 0 Answers ]

Looking to replace chromme knobs with porcelsin on my wall mount kitchen sink

Under mount sink installition kit [ 3 Answers ]

I have an undermount bathroom china sink with no hardware for installition I have looked on mfg:s web sites and in town and cannot find the inserts and clips to fit ,any suggestions?

Direct Mount Sink Pump [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have come across a pump(without any venting to main stack.) Here is the link to it. Hartell > Products > Waste Water Pump > LTA Pump. It is a hartell direct mount sink pump. Is this pump valid per code? (International plumbing code) Thanks Sam.

How to mount a utility sink (with legs) to the wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out how to retro fit my stand-up utility sink so that it is mounted to the wall of my garage. I do not want the front legs of the sink to be in the way (for cleaning purposes) and I couldn't find a wall mounted version in my area. Does anyone have any ideas of how to mount...

View more questions Search