Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Dec 19, 2011, 12:34 PM
    Is this a bad idea?
    I'm trying to get a 12 gauge Romex cable from my basement up two stories to a particular part of the attic, which is turning out to be surprisingly difficult. There is a galvanized heating duct that runs straight up to right where I want to deliver the cable. Is it possible (up to code) to run the cable up the duct?

We have a high efficiency gas furnace and the output air is not very hot - the plenum is warm, not hot, to the touch. The point I would enter the duct is about 20 uninsulated feet from the plenum, so it is even cooler. I would use cable clamps to enter and exit the duct.

I find it hard to believe this is okay, but please let me know.

Thanks
    rodri Posts: 48, Reputation: 8

Dec 19, 2011, 01:22 PM
    You can't. It's not per code.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2011, 01:45 PM
    No the cable cannot run inside the duct, and if there is room next to the duct, I believe the specifications of the duct that nothing combustible be within 3 inches of the duct.

If you can find partitions that are stacked in line, consider using Greenlee D’VersiBIT System with long drill bits, that are very flexible, go to page two for bit extensions.

Greenlee Products - Greenlee A Textron Company
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Dec 19, 2011, 01:50 PM
    Thanks guys. I thought it was a no-go, but oh so tempting.

Thanks also for the tip on the drill bits. Can you suggest a good place to buy them?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Try this:

Greenlee Distributor Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

Good idea o bad idea [ 3 Answers ]

I am going down to near my ex girlfriend lives in a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tell her and see if she wants to hangout as friends or something. I haven't talked to her since we broke up in march, and things between us started so fast and then ended even quicker. Here...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search