Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    derrickwi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 11:29 AM
    Bath wash basin has extra waste pipe
    The waste pipe on my bathroom basin has an extra pipe about 1/2" dia joining it just below the drain hole in the basin and before the trap. The pipe is flexible and goes off into the wall. Is it an extra drain for something? There is an air conditioning unit in the roof above.
    The main waste pipe appears to be manufactured for this extra pipe so when I replace it what should I ask for.

Thanks for any help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
    This is a vent to prevent airlock when the lavatory drains. This type of vent's added when the lavatory has no overflow installed. This has nothing to do with the AC condensate line.
    " The main waste pipe appears to be manufactured for this extra pipe so when I replace it what should I ask for."
    Just tell them that you have a bowl type lavatory with no overflow. Ask for a vented drain and tailpiece. Good luck. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Waste pipe? Removal [ 2 Answers ]

Im not sure what I have here, but I am trying to cap it. Here's what the configuration is. My house was originally built in 1967. In my basement I have what appears to be a 2" dia. galvanized pipe protruding about 10" out of a 4-41/2" dia. iron pipe. There is a threaded coupler at the top of...

Clogged laundry basin, overflow pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've had problems with laundry sink(basement) we have the washer draining in it and it's overflowed several times. I tried to snake the overflow pipe but I believe there is a solid dirt plug, my guess is maybe tree roots or something. Also there is limited working space because of cabinets...

125mm waste pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if the drainage pipes from the kitchen sink are supposed to join directly onto the same 125mm waste pipe that the toilets are also connected to? Iam in the process of refurbishing my flat and have come across such a setup. Does anyone know if this is legal? Surely there must...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search