Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mignit Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

May 22, 2009, 07:59 AM
    Black spec in middle of eye
    My friend has a black spec in the middle of his eye. It has been there fir a few days and he has tried almost everything except going to the doctor which he says he cannot afford. He has tried using a qtip, pliers, eye drops, etc. He is a welder if that helps.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 08:04 AM

He used pliers to attempt to remove a spot from his eye?

If he's employed he's covered by Workers Comp - he should use the benefits and seek medical evaluation/treatment.

Now.

May 22, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Thanks. I guess tweezers would be a better word over pliers. He's independent unfortunately.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2009, 08:53 AM

Independent or not,he needs his eyesight for life and to continue to be an independent welder.

You do not have to pay cash in the emergency room.They will bill you and you can make payments arrangements.

This is nothing to fool with,he could lose his eye.

Clearly ,whatever he has in there is embedded and trying to get it out himself is asking for an infection and potential further damage.

May 22, 2009, 08:59 AM
    Thank you. He is signed up for an appointment tomorrow...
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 08:59 AM

Tweezers are just as bad. When you say he's an independent, do you mean he works off the books or he's a 1099 (independent) contractor.

Some 1099's ARE covered by WC. Some companies that sub work out require that the subs carry insurance, including WC.

This is nothing to fool with.

May 22, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 09:05 AM

I don't know that the wc versus no wc matters right now. He should have been covered. He's not so he's going to have to get medical treatment and then make installment payments.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

May 23, 2009, 01:58 PM

I concur with everyone above. He could have a piece of metal in his eye. This could cause blindness, it could cause HORRIBLE infection. And messing with it will only make it worse, especially if you have no clue what you are doing (hence the pliers). Please keep us up to date. I'm glad to hear that he made an appointment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Kind Of Pills Are These And The Spec Please [ 24 Answers ]

I Found A Round Pill That Is White And Has A Number 512 On One Side Then A Line On The Other I Was Told It Was A O.codone Is That True I Found A Pill With A Cursive V On One Side On Other Side It Has A Line And A Number That Says 35 92 It's A Oval Shape I Was Told It Was A Vicodin

Main and rod bearing clearances spec [ 6 Answers ]

On a 350 small block chevy eng,could anyone tell me what the spec should be for main and rod bearing oil clearance,and would standard bearings have the correct oil clearance for both if no work has been done to the crankshaft.all answers will be helpful ...

Difference between spec/base hatchback? [ 4 Answers ]

Whats the difference between a spec hatchback and a base hatchback. especially on the scion tC's, I'm thinking of getting one, but i cannot see the difference. :)

8 horse Briggs compression spec. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old 8 hp Briggs with 75 psi. . What is the minimum compression psi. to run?

UK Spec Mk5 VW Golf Heater Buttons [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, this is very likely a stupid question, but I can't find the answer anywhere; In my Mk5 VW Golf, where the screen heating buttons are (i.e. rear window heat etc... ) there is a little blue plastic circle. What the hell is it? I've looked everywhere for info, even asked a couple of VW...

View more questions Search