Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 5, 2009, 02:28 PM
    All Purpose Cement?
    I know the type of cement that can be used to join ABS and PVC is often frowned upon by codes. What is the problem? For example, does it result in leaks or is the joint structurally weak?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 5, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Hi Dennis...

When pvc is joined to pvc and abs to abs the joints are not glued as much as they become WELDED together using the correct primers/cements, of course. When different plastics are joined the process is not really a compatible weld anymore... but more like a glued joint.

The idea is that the two plastics are different plastics and expand and contract at different rates which increase the chance that the fitting and pipe could create cracks/leaks.

They have transition fittings that work so much better anyway... such as shielded clamps (plastic to plastic) or by joining an abs male adapter to abs pipe and a pvc female adapter to pvc pipe and then screwing the connections together (using thread sealant)... just a couple examples.

Let me know if you have more questions...

MARK
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

May 5, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's just what I wanted to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The purpose behind resistors [ 23 Answers ]

Hello: I would like to ask a question pertaining to resistors and specifically WHY one would use a resistor. I understand what resistors are used for in residential installations i.e. to offer resistance to the flow of electricity. But I would like to know why one would need a resistor. Why...

What's the purpose of NC? [ 2 Answers ]

I wonder now what the real purpose of NC. I mean, if your ex trying to contact you back after you do it, do you pick up the phone or what?? Is it best not to have any kind of relationship with your ex forever or..?

Riots - What purpose? [ 9 Answers ]

The Associated Press: Week of Greek rioting taps into wider discontent I can understand the outrage over a unjustified murder by the police, but countering with violence worse than the original crime ? Am I missing something? Is this being funded by other organizations? I don't understand...

I used pvc cement instead of all purpose cement [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced some old pipes with cpvc and then realized that the cement was not all purpose, just pvc. Will it hold?

Being difficult on purpose [ 4 Answers ]

Well, my friend went to mediation on Tuesday and the mediator basically told him that her anger issues aren't important right now, I'm here for the child to get you two to agree on a parenting plan. They have to have separate appts because he has a restraining order on her. She just wants to use...

View more questions Search