Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhicks278 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 05:45 PM
    Apollo Hydroswirl 75 gallon Gas Water Heater leaking, replace?
    Hello,
    My Apollo Hydroswirl heater installed in 1992 began producing less hot water than normal so I did what any good homeowner would. Nothing. Ha ha Unfortunately, the reduction in hot water forced me to make an inspection under the house. I will attach several pictures for your consideration but there does appear to be some type of fairly small leak that I suspect has something to do with the loss of hot water.
    I've learned this is part of what is called a Hydronic system that uses the hot water to also heat the house in winter. That also explains why the heating has been a little weak as well. I have the lines running from the water heater to the air handler under the house and assume that the total source of heat is provided by the hot water heater ?
    After seeing the pictures, my question is what should I check first? I'm fairly handy and had rather attempt to service/repair this unit rather than replace it because I think it's very expensive. I'm sure nothing has been done to this since it was installed in 1992.

Thanks, John
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Hi John...

1992... huh? So 17 years old? You've done very well here... as you are lucky if a water heater lasts 10-12 years nowadays.

Unfortunately, that heater is shot at this point.

Still to be sure, confirm that the water is not coming out of the temperature and pressure (T&P) relief valve (valve on side of heater with yellow tag) by touching the bottom of the pipe coming out of the T&P valve. If the pipe is wet then this could be as simple as replacing the T&P valve.

Otherwise, I don't care what is leaking...at 17 years old, it's time to "bite the bullet" and replace that sucker... ;).

Let me know what you think...

MARK

Feb 13, 2009, 07:15 PM

I'm sure it's not the T&P valve. I do want to at least determine where the leak is coming from before making the decision. I will be checking it closely in the morning. What starts leaking when the heater is shot? The tank itself?
    Are you familiar with these type systems? If I replace wholesale, will I need to go back with this exact brand model etc?
    Thanks, you've helped me before
    John

Feb 13, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Add to above post. Would a problem like this manifest with a gradual reduction in the total amount of hot water available because that's how it has occurred. You know, the first shower in the morning can only last about 5-6 minutes before all the water is gone.

Feb 13, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Sorry, one more bit of info. It's a 1992 model installed in 1994. N
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 09:11 PM

Sometimes, heater leaks at flexible h/c water supply connections, water pours into the jacket of the heater and shows as a drip on the bottom of the tank. I would check that out as well... But if you had this heater since 1994 than you got your money back long time ago...
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 03:28 AM

I agree with Mark, Milo it time for a new heater, Thanks.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2009, 06:53 AM
    Hi John...

Tank can leak from the T&P valve, the tappings or from the tank itself if the porcelain liner has become compromised. Open up the combustion chamber door and see if it is wet inside there.. if so, tanks shot.

The gradual loss of hot water only adds to fact that the heater is old and has other issues besides the leak.

In terms of replacement, it would definitely be the easiest install if you replace with the same unit... if possible. Bring the model # and size with you and see what they recommend at the supplier.

Good luck! Always glad to help!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a 60 amp breaker too much for a 40 gallon electric water heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a tankless water heater installed and after a lot of trouble with it, it died. So, I want to go back to a regular tank water heater. Can I hook it up to the existing electric service to the tankless, which is really big: two pole 60 amp breaker with a 6 or 8 wire? I have the feeling that...

40 gallon hot water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 40 gallon electric hot water heater in my apartment. The hot water runs out after a 10 minute shower, by the end of the shower I can turn the cold side all the way off and the hot all the way on and it is freezing cold. This is a new hot water heater (supposedly) because they replaced...

80 gallon vs 2 40 gallon water heater. [ 1 Answers ]

I own a small motel that has two 40 gallon water heaters hooked up consecutively. They are about 20 years old. The furnace (hydronic heat) is hooked up to the water heaters as well and preheats the water before it goes to the 40 gallon tanks. I would like to replace the water heaters and was...

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

2 40 gallon water heater vs 1 80 gallon [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a new house. I am considering installing two 40 gallon water heaters rather than one 80 gallon water heater. My thought is that I could turn one the 40 gallon heaters off as there are only two of us most of the time. Then we could turn on the other when we have guest. Is there a...

View more questions Search