Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Huckey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Basement Bath Vent sizing
    I am adding a basement bathroom in a 1926 house. The mainline is cast iron. I plan on cutting the ci below grade and adding a backwater valve. The house is two story with a basement. I currently have a 1.5" vent from the old laundry tray in the area. My question: Can I use the 1.5" vent to vent the toilet, washer stand pipe and a lav? What about an AAV? I am trying to avoid running a 2"vent up through two floors.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Have you checked to see if your city inspector will approve a AAV, many will not allow them. A vent stack works best if it reaches above the roof line but they can terminate outside along the exterior wall as long as they are a required distance from doors, window, vents, etc...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 11, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckey
    I am adding a basement bathroom in a 1926 house. The mainline is cast iron. I plan on cutting the ci below grade and adding a backwater valve. The house is two story with a basement. I currently have a 1.5" vent from the old laundry tray in the area. My question: Can I use the 1.5" vent to vent the toilet, washer stand pipe and a lav? What about an AAV? I am trying to avoid running a 2"vent up through two floors.
    2" would be better but try going 1 1/2" with a AAV. If yousee the toilet bowl water bouncing or hear any gurgles when the washer discharges increase to 2". Good luck, tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 11, 2008, 06:02 PM
    You will need at least one 2" vent. If you go with AAV, install at least 2 of them and split the load.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Milo, Where would you put vent #2 and why? Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 12, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Thanks for asking Tom...

I would run one 2" from toilet, second 2" from rest of the bathroom including washer. Since 2" vent caries 16 plumbing units, I would combine them in the ceiling and run single 2" to the roof.

But I am (already) aware of Code ( and general installation... ) differences between the Coasts. We want to believe that we do things "right" here... :D
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 13, 2008, 08:32 AM
    We want to believe that we do things "right" here...
    And the rest of us think that you "overdo" things in your area. No wet vents, no high loops,etc. Some of your code restrictions have a tendency to hinder the homeowner more then to help him. Just my opinion but I have lots of company with it. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bath vent [ 2 Answers ]

We added a new 1/2 bath the plumber installed an inside vent which I do not like. Is this legale can it be vented to the other bath vent? How much will it cost to have it vented to the outside?

Vent pipe sizing in plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

Dear member, Please advise me with vent pipe sizing for different plumbing services. Regards engineerane

To vent or not to vent lower level bath [ 4 Answers ]

OK, I think I'm in big trouble so I'm preparing for the worst.. but was wondering what may or may not come of this. Over the past 5 years of living in my house my wife and I decided to move to a new town. Problem I ran into was over the past 5 years I had done several additions to our lower...

Vent for basement bath room [ 7 Answers ]

I want to install a bath room with toilet, tub/shower and sink in my unfinished basement. There are three pipes combing from ground. But there is not vent combing down from the basement roof. Also, I have three contractors looked at my basement. I got confused with what they said. The...

View more questions Search