Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hobert_d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Bath vent
    We added a new 1/2 bath the plumber installed an inside vent which I do not like.
    Is this legale can it be vented to the other bath vent? How much will it cost to have it vented to the outside?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Hobert...

Was a plumbing permit pulled on the job? If it was I am sure that it is legal in your area to use an an air admittance valve (called a provent sometimes... see pictures). A plumbing permit is required for all bathroom remodels... including electric permit and sometimes, if job involves moving walls, etc. a building permit.

If permit not pulled, well then hard to say if a provent is legal in your area or not. You would need to call the local plumbing inspector to find out and that would mean that you would probably be fined (double cost of permit) and have to pull all appropriate permits.

Then you may or may not have to run a 2" vent from the bathroom to the attic where it can connect into a 2" vent up there or it can penetrate the roof by itself.

Hard to say on cost here without knowing distances and just how much wall and ceiling would have to be disturbed.

Let us know if need more info.

MARK
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 13, 2008, 04:17 PM
    I don't think I understand what you mean by saying "....inside vent...".

In residential applications, all vents should be inside the wall. Yes, vents can be combined with other vents from other bathrooms. Yes, vent can be run independently all the way through the roof. Here, you have to cut the wall, and roof, to run the pipe. Than install flashing on the roof.

How much? It is hard to estimate. There are too many variables to estimate labor costs. But, it should be part of the "per fixture" cost original plumber charged you when roughing-in your 1/2 bath.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the best way to vent a 1/2 bath below the drainline? [ 7 Answers ]

I am working on a basement project with a 1/2 bath which is being pumped up to the septic line. What is the best way to vent this system? Can I tap into existing drainpipe in the basement? I am thinking of tapping in on top of the pipe with a 90 to reduce the possibility of the system backing up...

To vent or not to vent lower level bath [ 4 Answers ]

OK, I think I'm in big trouble so I'm preparing for the worst.. but was wondering what may or may not come of this. Over the past 5 years of living in my house my wife and I decided to move to a new town. Problem I ran into was over the past 5 years I had done several additions to our lower...

Bath Tub Drain Vent [ 4 Answers ]

We are installing a new shower in the first floor bath and there is no vent for the drain. We live in a three story 106 year old story house. All three floors are finished. Venting to the roof is not an option. What can we do?

Vent for basement bath room [ 7 Answers ]

I want to install a bath room with toilet, tub/shower and sink in my unfinished basement. There are three pipes combing from ground. But there is not vent combing down from the basement roof. Also, I have three contractors looked at my basement. I got confused with what they said. The...

View more questions Search