Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeffelliott Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 06:19 PM
    Finishing Bath in Basement
    Hi - My builder roughed in a bath in the basement of our recently constructed home (2 yrs. Old). I've almost finished the basement, and need to complete the bath. I'm no plumber, but I'm pretty handy and have glued my share of PVC in the past. I'm hoping you can help me through the process!

Here are the questions so far:

Shower / Bath - I don't know which has been roughed in. The plumber just cut a 5 gallon bucket and placed it over the stub in the floor. I know it drains into a crock where I've yet to install a sewage pump. Here's what it looks like:

And where it's located:

The horizontal tape reads right to left and the vertical reads back to front.

1) Is this a shower, bath or a mis-located stub? If not mis-located, is there anything unusual about this configuration?

2) Is there a pea trap underground, or do I need to add one?

3) I really don't have access to the stub from the left, right or from behind once I set a tub / shower module. Any suggestions on how to connect the drain?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
    Jeff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 9, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Good morning Jeff,

I hate to appear negative but I don't see where your builder roughed in for anything. All I see is a 11" hole in the cement that looks like it maybe a dap out for the tub trap. But I don't see a trap raiser for a shower coming out of the cement or a toilet stub-up and I don't see a lavatory stubup or any kind of venting.
    You say, " The plumber just cut a 5 gallon bucket and placed it over the stub in the floor. I know it drains into a crock where I've yet to install a sewage pump. "
    Well a crock's not good enough Jeff. you need a tightly sealed holding tank with its own dedicated roof vent in addition to the vent that you need to vent the bathroom group. Just how did your plumber plan on connecting a grinder pump and holding tank to the sewer since he cemented over everything?
    If the sewer's not under the basement floor and you have to have a holding tank and grinder pump to lift it up and since you haven't shown me anything but a tub trap I can only come to one conclusion. The builder scammed you.
    All he did was cosmetic and you don't have a viable rough in. I hope I'm wrong but unless you can show me something more I'm sticking by my conclusion. I've printed out your pictures and post and will keep them in my "work in progress" file in case you wish to open up the floor and install a bathroom group and could use my assistance. Sorry I couldn't be more up beat but if I can give any assistance I'm as close as a click. Good luck, Tom

Dec 9, 2005, 07:42 PM
    Hi Tom - I should have been a bit more specific in my post... please accept my apologies for sending us both down the wrong path!

Here's the skinny - I do have a stub for the toilet, lav and tub / shower. My pictures don't show anything but the tub stub (aka, the bucket in the floor!). The crock, along with a lid, vent and line to the sewer are in a mechanical room next door so I hope I'm OK there.

If you look closely in the second photo, there's a red plug in the end of the pvc sticking up (it's at the 15" mark on the tape). If this clears things up, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my questions. If not, just let me know and I'll provide any additional info. You need.

Thanks a million for your expertise!
    Jeff

Dec 9, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Just realized the second photo may not be showing up... let's try this again!

Should be both embedded and attached now... no wonder my post was confusing :-)

Sorry and thanks!
    Jeff
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 10, 2005, 05:21 AM
    Good morning Jeff,
    If all you were asking was about the second picture here's my answer.

1) Is this a shower, bath or a mis-located stub? If not mis-located, is there anything unusual about this configuration?
    A bathtub trap roughs in at 15 1/2" off the wall and 1 1/2" off the front plate to the center of the trap. Since your measure comes off the wall then this would make it a tub rough in. The only thing I see that a little out of the ordinary is as a rule the trap raiser is run up and capped for the water test with a test cap.
    2) Is there a pea trap underground, or do I need to add one?
    If there were no "P" trap you would see nothing but a horizontal pipe in the hole. What I see looks like the hub of a "P" trap that's been closed off for the static water test at the time of inspection.
    3) I really don't have access to the stub from the left, right or from behind once I set a tub / shower module. Any suggestions on how to connect the drain?
    You must first remove the plug and install a raiser with a compression fitting to pick up the tailpiece from the tub waste and overflow. This will be connected at the time you set the tub.
    More questions? I'm as close as a click. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Basement finishing [ 17 Answers ]

I am in the early stages of laying-out my basement plans. There is a rough-in for toilet and shower, but not where I want the bathroom to be. I would like to move the rough-in pipes about 10-12 feet from where they are now for my ideal basement plan. I've done a lot of DIY home pprojects, but...

Finishing Basement with 1/2 bath [ 3 Answers ]

HI MIKE, I APOLOGIZE FOR THE DELAY BUT I NEEDED TIME TO STUDY AND RESEARCH YOUR PREPOSAL. I'M GOING TO USE A LITTLE DIFFERENT FORMAT IN ANSWERING. I'LL EDIT YOUR POST AND ANSWER IN CAPS. I was getting ready to finish my basement and plan to install a 1/2 bath myself (toilet and lavatory). My...

Finishing basement bathroom [ 17 Answers ]

When we built our house three years ago, we had the basement roughed in for a bathroom. I had talked to the plumber at that time about what would need to be done in the future, but alas have forgotten completely... :) Attached is a picture of the rough in prior to pouring the basement floor. ...

Basement finishing and insulation [ 3 Answers ]

What is better for framing out a basement, wood or steel 2x4's. Also when insulating what vapor barrier is better none, kraft paper, foil or batts wrapped in plastic or a sheet of plastic before the wallboard is put up?

View more questions Search