Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 07:05 PM
    Pvc tub drain to abs pipe
    I have a new white PVC tub drain kit, and I need to install a trap and hook it into an existing ABS drain/vent. The tub drain has a threaded fitting (which the instruction sheet calls "PVC adapter") at the bottom outlet of the T, which attaches to the T with a "polywasher" and "compression nut" (these are the names of the parts from the instruction sheet, but it's just a basic plastic compression fitting), and allows you to glue in a pipe at the other side of the fitting. Inside the flange of this fitting it says in small raised letters, "PVC/ABS" in addition to "1 1/2", CRN, TUBULAR, F-409, and UPC". Does the ". Does the " mean that I can join the ABS directly to this white plastic with regular ABS glue?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2007, 07:31 PM
    "Does the "PVC/ABS" mean that I can join the ABS directly to this white plastic with regular ABS glue?"
    No, use Oaty All Purpose Cement to glue ABS to PVC. Good luck, Tom
    ricks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Thanks. So does the PVC/ABS marking on the piece not really mean anything? Is it just regular PVC?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks
    Thanks. So does the PVC/ABS marking on the piece not really mean anything? Is it just regular PVC?
    While a PVC adapter may be used with ABS you will use Oatey All Purpose Cement,(see image) to join the two togather. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hole in pvc drain pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I accidentally drilled a 3/16" hole through a pvc drain pipe behind a wall. I filled the hole with caulking. I want to know if this an acceptable repair.

ABS/PVC Pipe Connections [ 7 Answers ]

I am about to do a modest bathroom remodel on a 40 year old house. The existing DWV piping is black plastic ABS pipe. I want to use the white PVC but I read somewhere that you should not join the two different pipe types directly. Is this accurate? If so, what is the easiest method. The only other...

Basement shower abs drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

In my basement roughin the abs drain pipe is not quite plumb, can the abs pipe about 5 or 6 inches from the p-trap, be flexed slightly to line up with the shower drain tail piece? The drain tailpiece I'm using is a B&K Industries with the rubber sleeve that slides over the 2" drain pipe then a...

PVC or Cast Iron Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My Drain Pipe outside the house has been damaged severely by tree roots. Will it be better to replace it wit PVC or Cast Iron? What are the advantages and Disadvantages of using Cast Iron?

Leak in PVC Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently refurbished the powder room (1/2 bath) in the main hall of our house. Everything went well until I had to deal with the pedestal sink. After some struggle, I finally got the sink attached properly to the wall and the pedestal bolted to the floor. However, after I turned on the water,...

View more questions Search