Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robbobS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
    Adding new drain into existing sewage ejector system
    Hi,
    I have a functioning sewage ejector system. It appears to be correctly installed with a dedicated vent, etc. It was installed when the house was built and drains an existing basement bathroom. I am now looking to add a utility sink. My question is can I run the drain from the utility sink through the cover of the ejector (assuming I carefully seal the joint between the new drain pipe and the cover so the overall system remains sealed).

Also if the run for this drain is less than 5 feet do I need to vent this drain line as well. There are no close by vents so if I need to vent what are my options? Note I understand that I may NOT cut into the vent line for the sewage ejector.

Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
    Hi Robbobs

As long as you can get the pipe to be "gas tight" going through the lid, I suppose you could do it that way. You would need to add a PTRAP AND you would need to vent that drain individually... could run the new vent up into the ceiling and connect into the bathroom group vent that way, or if a nearby wall has the bath sink drain in it you could cut into the vent for the bath sink (cut in at a minimum of 42" off the floor). Heck, if the sink drain is close by you can cut into the bath sink drain and use the vent from the sink, too!

Back to you...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
    Are any of your drain lines going into the pit expossed? Would it be possible to cut into, say the lavatory drain and let the lavatory wet vent your sink? That way you win in two ways.
    1- you don't have to run a new vent **and**
    2- You won't have the hassle of cutting into the lid and then sealing it. Sound like a plan? Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage ejector vent into radon abatement system? [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing a new full bathroom (toilet, shower, sink) in a basement, but venting the sewage ejector system near the bathroom would result in it exiting out the front of my home. Obviously I do not want effluent odor venting to the front of my home near my front door. I have a fully...

Sewage ejector system venting [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Rikdiy and Welcome to The Plumbing Page. At AskMeHelpDesk.com. To answer your question, Not if wet vents are allowed in your area. Your toilet will be wet vented by the lavatory roof vent. Good luck, Tom

Sewage ejector system venting [ 4 Answers ]

Installing sewage ejector system in basement, know that pit requires separate vent from drain. Existing vent is a 3inch pipe off main feed to septic system between toilet and septic which goes straight to the roof with no other vents tieing in. Can I tie in pit vent to this pipe or the sink vent ?...

Sewage Ejector System Problems [ 2 Answers ]

New home owner here. I have never lived in a home with one of these systems, so this is new to me and I might be explaining it wrong. I have what appears to be a Sewage Ejector System in my basement. It looks like a black tub sunk into the floor in the unfinished part of the basement, with 2...

How to Vent Sewage Ejector System [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of installing a basement bathroom that will utilize a sewage ejector system since the sewer main line is above the floor. Since there is no easy chase to run a vent line three stories up to the roof, can I vent through a side exterior wall of the house? Can the line be capped...

View more questions Search