Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ratpick72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 11:12 AM
    Waste pipe? Removal
    Im not sure what I have here, but I am trying to cap it.

Here's what the configuration is. My house was originally built in 1967.

In my basement I have what appears to be a 2" dia. galvanized pipe protruding about 10" out of a 4-41/2" dia. iron pipe. There is a threaded coupler at the top of the galvanized pipe and the surrounding iron pipe is filled whith what appears to be small rocks.

I can pull the galvanized pipe up about 4-5" but then I can't pull anymore. I tried to unscrew the pipe and it spun but didn't go anywhere.

Anyone have any ideas of what I have (Im thinking an old vent, well?) to my knowledge there was no bathroom anywhere down there or on the floor above. Its also about 20ft from the main plumbing stack in a storage room.

The previous owner had it covered with an old bucket with a weight on it, I would like to cap it in case it is some kind of venting thing but I don't want to do anything that may cause a future problem...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I can provide a phot if it would help any. Thanks-
    Patrick
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Hi Patrick,

"In my basement I have what appears to be a 2" dia. Galvanized pipe protruding about 10" out of a 4-41/2" dia. Iron pipe. There is a threaded coupler at the top of the galvanized pipe and the surrounding iron pipe is filled with what appears to be small rocks."

You have described what appears to be a small drywell. This could have been used to collect and dissipate AC condensate. It is not a vent. Vents don't terminate inside your house. I can't say for sure what is is but I would have no problem with capping it off or even cutting it back and cementing over it. Good luck, Tom
    ratpick72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Tom-

Thanks. I'll break out the trusty sawzall, cut it off and cap it up. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do something that I (or at least my pocketbook) would regret later.:)

Patrick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

125mm waste pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if the drainage pipes from the kitchen sink are supposed to join directly onto the same 125mm waste pipe that the toilets are also connected to? Iam in the process of refurbishing my flat and have come across such a setup. Does anyone know if this is legal? Surely there must...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search