Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jimyboy1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2013, 08:06 AM
    What if my kitchen sink p-trap is higher than the sink drains
    Same question, but limited options for repair. My drain out line into the wall is not accessible and cannot be lowered. My kitchen sink drains will be 3-4 lower than that outlet line. Can't change that. So how do I make it work out?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 09:32 AM
    Raise the sink or counter. And there are shallower sinks... you just can't use a deeper one for that reason.

Water doesn't flow uphill.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2013, 12:05 PM
    No real option unless to go with a less deep sink. How was the old sink connected?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 27, 2013, 04:42 PM
    No magic fix here. Either make the drain in the wall accessible (cut into the wall,) and lower it, or get taller base cabinets, or a shallower sink. Sorry, but this is basic common sense. If your drain is higher than the base of the sink, the sink will always have standing water in it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apt main kitchen drain is higher than double sink drain do I need special trap? [ 2 Answers ]

Attempting to repair apt kitchen double sink drain,found that old 2" copper main drain is actually higher than sink drains. I am wondering if I need to modify the p-trap for better drainage.

Water backup in basement shower when kitchen sink drains fast but not when drains slo [ 5 Answers ]

House is 3 years new, purchased it a year ago (2011), started smelling bad odour, like rotten eggs after we moved.The problem was intermitten, The smell started in the kitchen sink upstairs and then ended up in the basement.After a long while we realized that when we drain the kitchen sink (free...

Basement sink backing up with food when kitchen sink drains a lot of water [ 15 Answers ]

Whenever a large volume of water goes down my kitchen sink drain, it causes a back up in my basement sink, with food particles coming up as well. The basement sink is located directly beneath my kitchen sink. Based on some advice posted in similar threads, I decided to the snake the line between my...

Kitchen sink has no p trap [ 4 Answers ]

My home was constructed about ten years ago, and no trap was installed under kitchen sink. Drain drops directly into floor. Counter top holding the sink rests against a half-wall, so It's obviously not vented. Just wondering if there's any connection between venting and use of a p trap. Should I...

View more questions Search