Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    futbolmx Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2010, 07:12 AM
    Adapt old tub pipe spout
    This is a picture of my wall without the old spout (house built in 1952)... now what? Will I be able to find a spout that threads to this large pipe? Or do I adapt the pipe to add a small, normal nipple? If so how?

Login | Facebook

Jun 30, 2010, 07:13 AM

Jun 30, 2010, 07:15 AM

Okay click on the "Login l Facebook" to see the picture
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2010, 08:50 AM

See the images below, It looks like you have threads in there see if it is 1/2" or 3/4" get the same size copper nipple and a universal spout for correct length see the next image, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Jun 30, 2010, 11:39 AM
    Nope no threads inside..

I can see behind the wall (via basement) and this pipe goes back about 6 inches and attaches to another pipe... I think I'm going to have to knock the wall down and start back there.

The local plumber shops say that is was a Chicago style spout... "not made anymore, stop looking"
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2010, 12:37 PM

Before you knock down the wall, try a wrench if you can remove the adapter, if you can then you may be able to install a reducer to adapt a 1/2" nipple, also wait what the other experts like Milo, Tom and Mark suggests good luck.

John

Jun 30, 2010, 01:24 PM

Check out this message board... I'm trying to loosen the "flat" piece now with a torch

Popular plumbing problem solving and remodeling DIY discussion advice forum site.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2010, 01:28 PM

Try a wrench and see if you be able to remove the flat piece, you don't need a torch, Thanks.

John

Jun 30, 2010, 01:50 PM

Super tight and rusty... tried wrench and torch
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2010, 03:29 PM

If You can see the pipe behind the wall (via basement) can you apply some WD-40 and let it soaked for a few hours and try, good luck.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I replace a slip on tub spout with no diverter to a tub spout with a diverter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a slip on tub spout that has no diverter. I would like to exchange this tub spout with one that has a diverter.

Replacing tub spout but pipe not square with wall [ 12 Answers ]

I took off the old tub spout and am replacing it with a new one... just a simple universal one that has a diverter. Thought that this would be an easy task, but the pipe stub isn't square with the wall, so when the spout is installed, there is about a 1/4" gap on the top between the wall and the...

Tub spout [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tub spout with a diverter the diverter has to remain up or else I will leak down my basement. Now it leaks every time after a shower. Help

Tub spout [ 2 Answers ]

Can a spout with a pop-up knob be used to replace a normal spout that didn't have a pop-up from the beginning ?

Tub Spout [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old tub spout with diverter that I am trying to replace. The pipe underneath has a 1 1/4" adapter attached that has been in place for 10 years. My question is how do I remove that adapter? I know heating it is an option, but what should I use that won't melt the plastic tub wall, and how...

View more questions Search