Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSull Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Plumbing: Kitchen faucet water and ice maker cubes smell like mildew.
    Hi, I was hoping someone can help me with a problem I am having with my Kitchen Faucet and Ice maker in my refrigerator. When I first turn the water on, on my kitchen faucet the water smells like mildew. The smell goes away if I let the water run for about 10 seconds. If I use the faucet often enough throughout the day the smell does not return, but if I go a good period without turning it on it comes back. The same thing is happening with my ice maker also in the kitchen. Some of the ice cubes but not all of them have this mildew odor. I do not have this mildew smell on any of my other faucets or in my shower. I turned the ice maker off because I am afraid of getting sick drinking this water with the mildew smell. I am not sure what to do. The faucet and refrigerator are about one year old. I am on city water. If anyone has an idea what this could be any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2010, 06:53 PM

You can actually get mildew to grow (mold) in an ice maker but its harder in a faucet but not impossible. This may not be a DIY project but I'd consult a few plumbers as to what they would charge to chlorinate your supply lines.
    stinkyfaucet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2012, 12:21 AM
    Did you get an answer? We have exactly the same problem!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 4, 2012, 05:31 AM
    Bob gave a answer back in 2010.
    I'd consult a few plumbers as to what they would charge to chlorinate your supply lines.
    As he pointed out, this isn't a week end project. You're going to need a professional for this. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice [ 1 Answers ]

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice

Mildew smell coming out of kitchen faucet [ 0 Answers ]

My kitchen faucet has a mildew smell coming out of it only on the cold water side. Its only this faucet that this is happening too. The longer it sits the stronger the smell, but if I let the water run for about a minute the smell goes away. I have taken apart the faucet and soaked it in bleach,...

Scotsman Ice maker Model # CSE60, not giving solid ice cubes [ 2 Answers ]

Our Scotsman Model # CSE60, has stopped giving solid ice cubes, and it is now sporadically giving shelled ice.:confused: Any suggestions on how to correct this problem? :D We have tried all of the owners manual suggestions, such as cleaning and preventative techniques. :p Thanks Onisno60

View more questions Search