Ask
    thelady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 12:45 PM
    Shower drain doesn't have a trap?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 01:56 PM

HI Thelady...

Welcome to AMHD. What makes you sure your shower doesn't have a PTRAP... please give us more details here?

For example, is this a basement shower? Is there standing water in the shower drain? How old is the shower? Tile or fiberglass/acrylic shower? The more info. The better the answer we can give you, OK?

Mark
    thelady Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Comment on massplumber2008's post
    House built in 1853, basement kitchen, toilet & shower. Shower has an iron drain with a inverted cup covering with a little indenture which lets the water through. All drains make noise when another is in use. Shower drain goes to street sewer line
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2011, 05:31 PM

You probably have what is called a house trap. That is just one trap for the whole house instead of individual traps for each fixture. That's how they used to do it way back when, until they figured out they just don't work all that great. Of course code now calls for a trap on each fixture, but your grandfathered in. Are you experiencing sewer smells? Not much you can do without breaking up the floor and adding traps and correct venting. This would be a large undertaking. Im not even sure they would have used a house trap back in the 1800s, but hopefully they did. If it were my home, I would seriously think about a total plumbing renovation. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will this setup drain my shower p-trap? [ 24 Answers ]

I find it hard to draw a picture of plumbing lines, but I made an attempt to draw what I am trying to do. I think if I can get the following question answered I am good to go. Can I place a vent between a toilet and shower drain and keep water in my shower trap when the toilet is flushed? I am...

Shower P trap not under drain [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am attempting to install a shower stall into my basement where there is a roughin. I have hit a few problems in that the roughin drain is inly 1 1/2 inch line not a 2" which the stall drain calls for and also the drain is in the wrong place. I have cut the floor to move the drain to the...

Shower drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I have removed a bathtub and I'm replacing with a shower. The shower tile installer asked that the new drain be placed in the middle of the floor. There is a heating duct that prevents placing the drain trap directly under the drain. Is there a problem if I run an 8" section of drain pipe to a...

Shower drain p trap location [ 2 Answers ]

This is probably not a complicated question but I just want to make sure. I am replacing the drain line from the shower to the main drain in my grandmother's house. Very old house and pipes with a drum trap that just won't get unclogged (I've tried chemicals, plunging and an auger, though not in...

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

View more questions Search