Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ADB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
    Shower drain trap
    I have removed a bathtub and I'm replacing with a shower. The shower tile installer asked that the new drain be placed in the middle of the floor. There is a heating duct that prevents placing the drain trap directly under the drain. Is there a problem if I run an 8" section of drain pipe to a location where I can install a trap and then continue to the main bathroom drain?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
    That should work. I am assuming that your shower is going to get a tile and grout job. If not, you can buy fiberglass shower pans made to fit an old tube opening. They are called retro fit pans and run about $280.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noisy shower drain - drips into p-trap [ 10 Answers ]

Hey guys, my shower drain is noisy from water dripping straight down into the p-trap water. Water collects toward the middle of my drain strainer, and drops straight down into the p-trap water and is annoying. Ideally I would angle the downspout so my p-trap isn't directly under the strainer......

Shower drain p trap location [ 2 Answers ]

This is probably not a complicated question but I just want to make sure. I am replacing the drain line from the shower to the main drain in my grandmother's house. Very old house and pipes with a drum trap that just won't get unclogged (I've tried chemicals, plunging and an auger, though not in...

Shower trap and drain line elevation [ 1 Answers ]

I'm planning to build a shower stall, and would like to know how much height I should have available under the floor for the trap and drain line. I'll be using 1 1/2" ABS pipe.

Shower Drain Trap [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a shower where a bathtub used to exist and the shower drain, including reduction fittings require me to drop the existing trap by 2.75inches. Are there any issues having a trap that drops 6inches? Thanks, Adam

Offsetting a shower drain trap? [ 5 Answers ]

A friend is having a shower installed in a second floor bathroom, directly over a stairway landing. The floor joists are only 4" deep, such that a trap under the shower would protrude into the head space in the stairwell. The plumber gave two options: raise the shower floor four inches, such...

View more questions Search