Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmvern Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 09:27 PM
    Caulking vs grouting
    I just set 50 large (8"x 10") tiles on the upper back wall over my fiberglass shower unit. These tiles go along the top (to the ceiling) and down along the sides to the floor. The will not come into contact with direct water. (hopefully) I had planned on mixing grout that would have matched my tiles, however, I found that DAP as a bathroom caulk that doesn't mildew, doesn't get hard, or any of that other bad stuff. THis color would look so much better than the grout. It just can't install itself. Question, would it be practical and okay if I just used the caulk in place of the grout. It would be easy to finger slide a smooth "grout" line and the fact that is will always be flexible. It sounds as though it would be functional and certainly waterproof. . I have seen dining room tables where they used silcone caulking between tiles used on table tops, and there would always be a chance of someone knocking a glass of liquid over on that... please help advise. Bruce out...
    Herschelwood Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Did you lay grout as a base to apply the tile to the bathroom? My understanding is that caulking is only for water tightness, if you need to structurally hold the tiles in place or keep them from coming apart you would need to grout them. If they are already secure then maybe you could just use the caulk? If the application specifically calls for grout then you cannot substitute it with a caulk.
    I could check a general spec for you to make sure, do you have the specific info (manufacturer, etc.) of the tile?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Do not use caulk for this application. Grouting is about the only way to finish a tiles wall. Grouting is cheaper, better and a bit messy but it is the way to go.
    tdan243 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
    I have a water stan on main floor ceiling and the shower is on the second floor has not been used in along time so it does not leak in pipes so the leak must be in the tiles but they look ok i was told to put sealant on them and i donot know about the drain suggestions please and hoe do i paint to cover the stain in the ceiling
    Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 20, 2007, 01:18 PM
    TDan, if this is a new post or question you need to open your own post. Attaching to someone else just confuses people. Zinsser 123 Bullseye primer will seal the satin, then ceiling white paint. You must find the source of the stain/water before starting repairs. Pour a few buckets of water into the shower pan, if the ceiling gets wet your pan is leaking. If it doesn't get wet come back and tell us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caulking jobs [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of caulking should I use in the following applications: a. between a tub and a wall b. on a roof c. between 2 ceramic tiles d. between base molding and a wall

Re grouting shower floor [ 1 Answers ]

I'm in the process of re grouting a shower floor. I've removed loose grout with a grout saw and ready to apply new grout. Question - Most of the grout is still in good shape and very little was removed (mostly only edge spots). Along the edge is mold. I've attempted to use cleaners to remove...

Caulking a drain [ 1 Answers ]

Does silicone sealants have a shelf life or a temperature range when stored? I opened a new tube of GE Silicone II that was purchased several years ago and stored unopened and unused until now. The instructions say: "Tack free in 45 mins. Full cure in 24 hours". It has been over 24 hours now since...

Grouting in a shower room [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Can you tell me how often you would expect to maintain grouting in a shower room if it has been professionally applied and the shower has average use? Thanks

View more questions Search