Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darrin1967 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 05:25 PM
    Water in overflow pan
    Old hot water heater always had water in the over flow pan from the overflow tube. Replaced with new hot water heater and it's doing the same. I turned the tsat so low that there is never any hot waterafter 10 minutes of shower
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2010, 05:41 PM

Does your house have a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) or backflow preventer?

You may need an expansion tank on the cold water line.

I've asked this be moved to plumbing.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 07:37 PM

Moved to plumbing
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 07:50 PM

You have either too much pressure in your pipes or your heater temperature is set way too high. Check pressure first. Adjust to 55psi.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2010, 07:53 PM

Keepitsimplestupid asked a good question please respond him, check your water pressure, and let us know, Thanks.

John
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2010, 08:08 PM

Good answers so far. PRV, T&P , TPV seen them called many things but yours may be doing what it is supposed to be doing. If your home has a back flow preventer the water heats up and has no place to go when it expands. That valve isn't supposed to blow until a certain temp or pressure is reached but if you have two in a row that are blowing its time to find out why. Check you water pressure inside the home after no water has been drawn for several hours. If its over 60 psi you need to bring it down but a prv ( not the prv on a heater but a pressure rediucung valve on the main) on the main won't be the answer if the cause is expanding water and a back flow preventer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer Overflow Pan? [ 5 Answers ]

My home inspector suggested I put in a metal washer overflow pan in the laundry room. Where do I get this? Do they range in size? How do I know which one to get?? Thanks for any help!

Washer overflow pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to locate a washer overflow pan for a home that the pipe is coming from the side of the wall in my laundry room upstairs. I do not have the one where the hole is located at the bottom of the pan. Thanks

Plumbing an overflow washer Pan [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do the plumbing for a washer overlfow pan. Do you run the hose outside your wall or into washer drain

View more questions Search