Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needofhelp123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 05:06 AM
    Water Overflow
    I am having some issues with water over flow. I have two full bathrooms. One upstairs and one directly underneath it on the floor below. From investigation of the pipes in the basement, it appears that the kitchen sink pipes and the bathroom pipe run on the same line to the main drain. This pipe is also connected to pipe that leads outside to release out excess water in case of overflow. The outside pipe or tubing has a valve that I can open and close to prevent water from going outside. Yes we do have sump pump connected to it as well. Now for the problem, taking a shower or flushing the toilet causes overflow in the bathtub in the first floor when the valve is closed on the tubing leading outside. When I open the valve the water drains outside and the water in the bathtub drains. It takes no scientist to figure out that that overflow from the bathtub is going outside and not in the main drain pipe. The water coming outside runs continuously when someone is taking a shower. The water coming out outside does not smell very well. I was thinking of renting a snake, but I cannot find the main clean out anywhere in the basement. Any advise or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 18, 2008, 05:36 AM
    What area do you live in?
    This pipe is also connected to pipe that leads outside to release out excess water in case of overflow
    You have a pipe that redirects raw sewage outside on the ground in case of a blockage? Did I understand that correctly? There should be a cleanout just outside your house on the street side. You may have to probe for it but it's there and once found it should be snaked. Can you give us more details about your drainage set up? Especially about the overflow pipe and valve. Does sewage back up in the sump nas well? I'm attempting to understasnd your drainage lay out and how such a configuration got by the plumbing inspector. Regards, tom
    needofhelp123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 04:47 PM
    It is just dirty water that actually goes out the tubing outside. No solids thank goodness. It just backs up there when flushing the toilet or taking a shower.

(outside tubing)---Valve-----Sumppump------kitchen sink-------WALL------(toilet\bathtub)

Sorry behind the wall I am not sure the exact connections. I just figured that their all in the same line because if I run the ater on the toilet or bath tub over flow comes out the outside tubing.

Other information
    I did look outside and the roof vent aligns exactly where the bathroom is. I went on the roof to check if there was any obstruction, but I did not see any, unless it is hiding further below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank overflow [ 11 Answers ]

There is a hot water tank at work and it keeps pouring out water vua the overflow pipe. I have moved the ballcock but the problem still happens. Could anyone help me. Thank you for reading. Dave

Hot water heater overflow [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old house, when purchased the overflow valve of the hot water heater would leak water occasionally. Plumber came and installed a pressure relieve tank on the cold water line, problem solved until the last couple of weeks. Water again will come out of the overflow pipe every couple...

Cold Water Overflow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I need to connect a 15mm cold water overflow pipe to a 40mm 'Tee' waste system. Any idea on how I go about doing this? Thanks.

View more questions Search