Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    free2choose Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2010, 04:10 PM
    Florida, I have a 100 yr old oak and a water leak in the main from meter to house
    Speedball1, Tom - I have been reading some of your posts. I live in St. Petersburg, FL.
    I have a leak in my main from meter to house and there is a 100 year old oak and the driveway in between. Yikes! I know this will be costly just because of the tree roots alone and all the digging that will need to be done.
    I finally can see where the water is coming up so I think I have isolated the leak. Will the whole line need to be replaced? Can a new line be run to avoid some digging?
    I could use some advice on what to look for in a decent quote, thanks in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2010, 04:48 PM

I built my first home out in St. Pete Beach in 1955.
    I have a leak in my main from meter to house
    This is a pressure leak in your water service and not the sewer? How oldis your house and what type of pipedown there. You're lucky you live in warm climate. Your water isn't buried all that deep. If this is a sewer line click on back and give me all the details. Good luck and stay warm. Tom

Jan 10, 2010, 05:17 PM

Tom,
    Thank you for answering. The house was built in 1956. I'm sure it is the water line. Sewer lateral in back and replaced 10 yrs ago. Main water lines is right under tree three feet from the trunk. This tree is huge the roots go under the house and into the back yard. Is there a chance they could lay another line or route a different way? I'm new to this site any way to attach a picture?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 10, 2010, 05:32 PM

How do I add pictures and other file types to my post?
    A. "Attach" files (including pictures) from your computer. This method puts the attached file below the text of the post.
    Click on an Ask or Answer button to ask or answer a question
    Compose your question or answer in the window.
    Under the window where you composed your question or answer is a section called Additional Options.
    Click on the Manage Attachments button: a pop-up dialog will open. NOTE: The Manage Attachments dialog lists the maximum sizes of the various types of files that may be attached.
    Click the Browse button to navigate to the image on your computer and double click the file on your computer: this will return you to the dialog window.
    Click the Upload button.
    Click the link to close the dialog window OR repeat numbers 5 & 6 to attach another image.
    B. "Embed" image(s) from the internet. This method inserts an image wherever you wish within the text of your post.
    Click the Insert Image icon above the posting window: A pop-up asking for the URL will open.
    Enter the URL of the image in the field then click the OK button.

Is there a chance they could lay another line or route a different way
    Chances are you have a galvanized water line. This would be discontinued and a new PVC line run skirting the oak tree. Can't give you a estimate but one man with a Ditch Witch should be able to run it in a afternoon. Good luck, Tom

Jan 10, 2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the input. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water meter turns but no leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I live in france and have had new interior plumbing which is now 2 years old. The water meter is going round when there is no water on. We can hear water going through the pipes when the stop valves are off, although the water in the kitchen(cold) will not turn off from these stop valves. ...

Main water shut off leak [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, I was curious to know if the main shut off in the house has to be "full" open or "full" closed to prevent leaks. I recently added a bathrrom on the third floor, no problems, then I needed to tie in a laundry room and shut off the main for about 1 hour, and turned it back on, 3 days later...

Gauge of Wire From Meter to house,100 amp fuses,200 feet run. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am intending to replace some wire that runs for 200 feet, from my meter to my house.I live on an island, so the run is quite long ! At either end are breaker boxes with 100 amp fuses in each.Never had any trouble/ fuse blows etc. The old wire (each of the 3 strands) are a little...

Where is the water going.Leak, meter? [ 3 Answers ]

I received my bi-monthly water bill recently. It stated that I had used 15,000 gallons of water. I usually use 7-8,000 gallons. None of the fixtures are leaking, no water in the house, and no swampy areas of the lawn. With all fixtures in the off position and no water being intentionally used, I...

Water Meter Dial & Possible Leak [ 1 Answers ]

The dial on my water meter that detects water flow (I think this is how one detects a leak) normally moves in a counter clockwise direction when water is flowing from a sink etc. When water was not flowing, the dial would stop then creep slowly still in a counter clockwise direction. I suspected...

View more questions Search