Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    swsm1th Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
    Toilet flange as floor drain... trap?
    I have an unused, capped off toilet flange on an existing slab floor; I use this as a floor drain. The only issue is that it lacks any kind of trap to block sewer gas from entering the room... it's simply a direct drop.

Is there any kind of a trap I can buy for the existing (I think it's 4") pipe? It will have to fit inside of the toilet drop. I can probably make something; however, I suspect that others have done it before I thought of it. I'm assuming that I'll end up with a significantly smaller drain, but that's OK.

Smith
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 8, 2012, 05:52 PM
    Hi Smith

I may have something for you... ;)

Although meant for properly ptrapped floor drains with failed trap primers the SURE SEAL may allow you to keep sewer gasses to a minimum and still use this toilet drain as a drain.

Check it out at this link:

Design Specifications : SureSeal Waterless Floor Drain Trap Sealer

Click on the 4" SureSeal Spec. Sheet link.

I will still advise you to chip up the floor and install a proper ptrap with a trap primer, but until then this SureSeal should help a bit!

Back to you...

Mark
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flange on the toilet drain is it soldered on or does it screw on drain is copper [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to relocate the toilet 8" from it present location there is a copper drain line 3" and the flange is metal how do I remove the flange and can I replace it with a PVC flange is it recommended

What to do if toilet flange is above floor for reinstallation of toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Removed toilet that leaked at base. Noticed that plastic mounting flange ibottom is 1/4 in above finished floor making top of flange about 5/8 aove finished floor. Is this why it eventuaslly leaked or is this no problem?

If don't have floor trap in toilet room how to solve the floor trap problem [ 4 Answers ]

We have separated toilet and bathroom in my hdb flat. There's not provided floor trap in our toilet room. Now we have to make a hole in the wall between toilet and bathroom and the water flow from this hole to the bathroom. But not all the water are not flowing to the bathroom. Can you help me to...

Toilet drain pipe below floor; need to replace flange [ 5 Answers ]

The toilet in our master bedroom was leaking around the floor. I turned the water off, flushed it one last time to get the water out of the tank, and called the plumber, who stopped by today. I wasn't there, but my g/f took a bunch of notes. He unbolted the toilet and pulled the flange out...

View more questions Search