Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whinnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 02:05 PM
    Will a P trap affect the toilet drain flow ?
    Whinnie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 02:12 PM
    Toilet on a P trap. Is it going to cause problems ?
    I have access to the sewer main in the basement floor via a 3 inc dia. P trap. I wanted to know if I could install my toilet directly to the P trap or if I had to dig out the P trapto install a ' straight pipe ' to the sewer main.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
    Toilets are trapped by the water in the bowl and do not have a p trap. The only way it could affect the
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2011, 03:19 PM
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough before. Toilets DO NOT hook up to a P trap. You will have to cut the old trap out, install a closet bend or an ell and a flange and then connect it to a pipe extension. How close is the vent for the main line?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 05:17 PM

Hi Whinnie...

As Ma0641 mentioned, you can't install a toilet onto a PTRAP. I'm also almost 100% positive the toilet wouldn't even finish flushing as it has an internal PTRAP and that would make a double trap... real problem.

Further, as suggested above, is the floor drain even vented? If not, you would need to cut out the PTRAP, install a vent and then you could install the toilet fittings/closet flange and you may actually be all set.

Questions? Let us know...

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 05:18 PM

A toilet has an integral trap built into it. Look at a toielt from the side and you can see the goosenecklike trap right there. You add another trap and you break the law and make real bad flush
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 05:21 PM

Hi Guys...

Actually, toilets have an INTEGRAL PTRAP and that is why you can't install a toilet onto an existing PTRAP/FLOOR DRAIN... it would be double trapping the fixture which is against plumbing code.

Whinnie, check your other post and read up on our responses at that post. Then, post your response at the other thread so we can all follow along with you, OK?

Mark
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 11, 2011, 11:13 PM

>Threads merged<
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2011, 06:31 AM

Hey hey...

This thread got messy quick! As Synnen said, he merged two threads guys and now it looks like I repeated what Bob said when in fact I posted that at a different thread... *UGH*...

I Just don't want anyone thinking I am posting/repeating anything that was already said!

Thanks...

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If don't have floor trap in toilet room how to solve the floor trap problem [ 4 Answers ]

We have separated toilet and bathroom in my hdb flat. There's not provided floor trap in our toilet room. Now we have to make a hole in the wall between toilet and bathroom and the water flow from this hole to the bathroom. But not all the water are not flowing to the bathroom. Can you help me to...

Connecting to 1 1/2" copper drain with pvc kitchen sink drain trap [ 8 Answers ]

I'm trying to rehook up the kitchen sink pvc trap to the old copper drain pipe but the connector doesn't fit tight enough and the water links out. Any ideas how to stop this leak?

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

View more questions Search