Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emshore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2010, 06:55 PM
    I have an upstairs fullly tiled shower that is leaking from the shower pan. I have opened the ceiling below and tested both the drain and the shower pan and it is the pan that has a slow drip. Is there a product that I can apply over the tile to seal the leak? In "the old days" there used to be a clear sealer type product that coulc be applied over the tile. It only lasted about 2 years, but at the moment, it wiuld be VERY difficult for me to rip ourt the shower pan, and I'm trying to buy some time and extned the life of the existing pan. Any information??

Clarification: The pan is not an exposed pan. It is a hot mopped pan under the tile of the shower walls and floor.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 07:00 PM

Clean tile and edge of pan.wipe dry and use silicone around edge where tile and pan meet. Let cure for 24 hours and test for leak. Silicone comes in many colors as well as clear.

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 5, 2010, 07:41 PM

The mopped pan only gets wet when your mud and/or tile grout has failed. Do you see cracks?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2010, 03:10 AM

Can u localize where leak is coming down. This will give u the area that is causing problem.

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 6, 2010, 07:00 AM

I have opened the ceiling below and tested both the drain and the shower pan and it is the pan that has a slow drip
    Are you quite sure of the source?
    Have you checked where the shower stream hits the tile? It could be the tile grout has shrunk allowing water to run down outside the pan. Just a thought. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Is it a shower pan leak or something else? [ 1 Answers ]

We are in escrow on our house and the termite inspector informed us our shower pan leaks and needs to be replaced. She determined this by plugging the drain and by filling the shower stall to almost the height of the dam and leaving it for an hour. When she returned there was moisture on the grout...

Replacing a shower pan in ceramic tiled floor [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace the shower pan in my bathroom due to a leak in the unit below me - is this expensive? Difficult to do?

What product for a poured recessed shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

What product can be used (like terrazo) to pour into a recessed area of a conrete slab for a wheel chair accessible shower floor?

Shower pan leak [ 5 Answers ]

I have a shower on the 2nd floor. Can this shower pan leak when there is no evidence of water or moisture on the ceilings or anything downstairs, there is no sign of a leak around the wall or tile of the shower or any other adjacent walls? A plumber says he used an air plug that confirmed that...

View more questions Search